all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Uniform font size for English and Tamil text inside GNU Emacs
@ 2015-06-05 18:10 Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-06-05 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I create UTF-8 files in GNU Emacs 24.3.1 with both English and Tamil
(native language) text. An example is illustrated below:

  http://shakthimaan.com/dump/emacs-english-tamil.png

I see that the Tamil font size is very small when compared to the
English text. I use the following in my emacs init scripts:

  (defun fontify-frame (frame)
    (set-frame-parameter frame 'font "DejaVu Sans Mono"))

Is there a way to get both the language font texts to be of the same
size, or, is there a way to explicitly set the font size for the Tamil
text?

I wonder how it looks for other non-English text inside Emacs.

Appreciate any inputs in this regard,

Thanks!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Re: Uniform font size for English and Tamil text inside GNU Emacs
@ 2015-06-05 19:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-06-05 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 23:40:27 +0530
> From: Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com>
>
> I create UTF-8 files in GNU Emacs 24.3.1 with both English and Tamil
> (native language) text. An example is illustrated below:
>
>   http://shakthimaan.com/dump/emacs-english-tamil.png
>
> I see that the Tamil font size is very small when compared to the
> English text.

Doesn't happen to me, I see them both in very similar size.

> I use the following in my emacs init scripts:
>
>   (defun fontify-frame (frame)
>     (set-frame-parameter frame 'font "DejaVu Sans Mono"))

What happens if you don't do this customization?  Do you have another
font that supports Tamil?  (On my system, there's Latha.)

> Is there a way to get both the language font texts to be of the same
> size

You need to make sure you avoid bad fonts, I think.

* Re: Uniform font size for English and Tamil text inside GNU Emacs
@ 2015-06-06  2:12 ` Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-06-06  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday 05 June 2015 11:40 PM, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I create UTF-8 files in GNU Emacs 24.3.1 with both English and Tamil
> (native language) text. An example is illustrated below:
>
>   http://shakthimaan.com/dump/emacs-english-tamil.png

> I see that the Tamil font size is very small when compared to the
> English text. I use the following in my emacs init scripts:

I see no such problems.  நான் உபயோகிப்பது Lohit Tamil.

* Re: Uniform font size for English and Tamil text inside GNU Emacs
@ 2015-06-06  2:45   ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-06-06  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

--- On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 1:22 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
| What happens if you don't do this customization?  Do you have another
| font that supports Tamil?  (On my system, there's Latha.)
\--

I removed the customization and it is much better. I also installed
Lohit Tamil font.

Thanks!

SK

--

@ 2015-06-06  2:47   ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-06-06  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaidheeswaran C; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

--- On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 7:42 AM, Vaidheeswaran C
<vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> wrote:
| I see no such problems.  நான் உபயோகிப்பது Lohit Tamil.
\--

How do we know which font Emacs uses for rendering the text?

SK

--

@ 2015-06-06  3:49     ` Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-06-06  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shakthi Kannan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday 06 June 2015 08:17 AM, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 7:42 AM, Vaidheeswaran C
> <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> wrote:
> | I see no such problems.  நான் உபயோகிப்பது Lohit Tamil.
> \--
>
> How do we know which font Emacs uses for rendering the text?

I think part of the problem is the cognitive dissonance that arises
from inter-mixing வட்டெழுத்து (rounded letters) and the near 'linear'
nature of English letters.  We aren't much used to seeing such mixed
texts, are we?

At the command line use:

| $ fc-list :lang="ta"
|
| /usr/share/fonts/truetype/samyak-fonts/Samyak-Tamil.ttf: Samyak
Tamil:style=Regular
| /usr/share/fonts/truetype/unifont/unifont.ttf: unifont:style=Medium
| /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf:
FreeSerif:style=Regular,нормален,normal,obyčejné,Mittel,µεσαία,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Gemiddeld,odmiana
zwykła,Обычный,Normálne,
ปกติ,menengah,прямій,Navadno,vidējs,normalusis,عادی,vừa,Arrunta,सामान्य
| /usr/share/fonts/truetype/lohit-tamil/Lohit-Tamil.ttf: Lohit
Tamil:style=Regular
| /usr/share/fonts/opentype/freefont/FreeSerif.otf:
FreeSerif:style=Regular,нормален,normal,obyčejné,Mittel,µεσαία,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Gemiddeld,odmiana
zwykła,Обычный,Normálne,
ปกติ,menengah,прямій,Navadno,vidējs,normalusis,عادی,vừa,Arrunta,सामान्य

| $ dpkg -S /usr/share/fonts/truetype/lohit-tamil/Lohit-Tamil.ttf
| fonts-lohit-taml: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/lohit-tamil/Lohit-Tamil.ttf

M-: (font-family-list)

To answer your question... Put your cursor on the text you are
interested in and do C-u C-x =.

I see:

|              position: 192 of 1891 (10%), column: 0
|             character: க (displayed as க) (codepoint 2965, #o5625, #xb95)
|     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
| code point in charset: 0x0B95
|                script: tamil
|                syntax: w 	which means: word
|              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong)
|              to input: type "C-x 8 RET b95" or "C-x 8 RET TAMIL LETTER KA"
|           buffer code: #xE0 #xAE #x95
|             file code: #xE0 #xAE #x95 (encoded by coding system
utf-8-unix)
|               display: by this font (glyph code)
|     xft:-unknown-Lohit
Tamil-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x41)

@ 2015-06-06  7:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-06-06  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 08:17:00 +0530
> From: Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> How do we know which font Emacs uses for rendering the text?

Put point on some character whose font you want to know, and type
"C-u C-x =".  The "*Help*" buffer that pops up shows the font
information, among many other details.

* Re: Uniform font size for English and Tamil text inside GNU Emacs
@ 2015-06-06 14:16       ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-06-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaidheeswaran C; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

--- On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Vaidheeswaran C
<vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> wrote:
| To answer your question... Put your cursor on the text you are
| interested in and do C-u C-x =.
\--

It does mention 'Lohit Tamil'.

Thanks Vaidheeswaran and Eli Zaretskii for your help!

SK

--

@ 2015-06-09  9:14 ` Richard Wordingham
From: Richard Wordingham @ 2015-06-09  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 23:40:27 +0530
Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to get both the language font texts to be of the same
> size, or, is there a way to explicitly set the font size for the Tamil
> text?

I don't know about automatic matching, especially as not all fonts are
in a TrueType derivative, but explicit sizing can be done by commands
such as the following I used to get the Khmer script working better:

; Correct the script definition in Emacs 23.1!
(set-char-table-range char-script-table (cons ?\u19e0 ?\u19ff) 'khmer)
; Make the Khmer text readable
(set-fontset-font t 'khmer (font-spec :name "Khmer OS" :height 20))

Richard.