all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-10 23:31 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2015-12-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.  At that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started using it and that mostly solved my issues.

Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.

I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X terminology precisely) and highlight some text.  With my window manager (motif), that does a copy.

Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12 seconds, emacs is frozen.

emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.

emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t have a copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?

Thank you,
Perry

* RE: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 13:27 ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2015-12-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> From: Perry Smith, Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:31 PM
>
> Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.  At
> that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started using it and that
> mostly solved my issues.
>
> Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.
>
> I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X
> terminology precisely) and highlight some text.  With my window manager
> (motif), that does a copy.
>
> Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just
> highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12 seconds,
> emacs is frozen.
>
> emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.
>
> emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t have a
> copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?

I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.

I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).

(Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 13:44   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2015-12-11 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludwig, Mark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:27 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Perry Smith, Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:31 PM
>>
>> Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.  At
>> that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started using it and that
>> mostly solved my issues.
>>
>> Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.
>>
>> I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X
>> terminology precisely) and highlight some text.  With my window manager
>> (motif), that does a copy.
>>
>> Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just
>> highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12 seconds,
>> emacs is frozen.
>>
>> emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.
>>
>> emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t have a
>> copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?
>
> I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
> with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.
>
> I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
> any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).
>
> (Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)

Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.

I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.

@ 2015-12-11 13:56     ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2015-12-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> From: Perry Smith, Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM
>
> > On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:27 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Perry Smith, Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:31 PM
> >>
> >> Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.
> At
> >> that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started using it and
> that
> >> mostly solved my issues.
> >>
> >> Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.
> >>
> >> I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X
> >> terminology precisely) and highlight some text.  With my window manager
> >> (motif), that does a copy.
> >>
> >> Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just
> >> highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12 seconds,
> >> emacs is frozen.
> >>
> >> emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.
> >>
> >> emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t have
> >> copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?
> >
> > I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
> > with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.
> >
> > I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
> > any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).
> >
> > (Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)
>
> Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.

I'd be careful about that assumption.  There are a lot of
components involved.  I don't remember whether anything else
changed at the same time.  For example, I might have started
using different versions of Windows and eXceed (I know
those two go together, because of the way machines are
provisioned at my employer).

What I remember was building Emacs 24.4 myself on Solaris
for the first time in almost two decades.

I might also add that I have variability of paste behavior.
Sometimes, Control-y pastes from the X buffer and sometimes
I have to use Mouse Button 2.  MB2 always does it.  I don't
understand why C-y has variable behavior, but I have similar
challenges in other X applications, so I'm pretty sure
/that/ aspect is about eXceed.

> I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
> I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
> and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.

Sure, that might help.  I'm not afraid to get into the code.
I just haven't assumed it's actually an Emacs bug....

Cheers,
Mark

* Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 14:59       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2015-12-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludwig, Mark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:56 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Perry Smith, Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM

>> At
>> that

>>> I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
>>> with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.
>>>
>>> I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
>>> any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).
>>>
>>> (Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)
>>
>> Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.
>
> I'd be careful about that assumption.  There are a lot of
> components involved.  I don't remember whether anything else
> changed at the same time.  For example, I might have started
> using different versions of Windows and eXceed (I know
> those two go together, because of the way machines are
> provisioned at my employer).
>
> What I remember was building Emacs 24.4 myself on Solaris
> for the first time in almost two decades.
>
> I might also add that I have variability of paste behavior.
> Sometimes, Control-y pastes from the X buffer and sometimes
> I have to use Mouse Button 2.  MB2 always does it.  I don't
> understand why C-y has variable behavior, but I have similar
> challenges in other X applications, so I'm pretty sure
> /that/ aspect is about eXceed.
>
>> I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
>> I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
>> and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.
>
> Sure, that might help.  I'm not afraid to get into the code.
> I just haven't assumed it's actually an Emacs bug....

I just did a simple apples to apples test.  For me, 24.3 does not have the issue
but 24.4 does. (and 24.5 does).

In your case, depending upon how big a jump you did with the
emacs versions… I know somewhere in the past five years they
removed support for some X feature that the old AIX VNC server
depended upon — something to do with CLIPBOARD or COPYBUFFERS
or something.  That might be what you are seeing.  In that
case, the paste didn’t work at all.  In this case, it does but takes
10 to 12 seconds to show up and emacs appears frozen during
that time.

Thanks for the tips… Onward through the smog!

@ 2015-12-11 15:24     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 07:44:50 -0600
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.
>
> I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
> I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
> and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.

Could you try with the latest emacs-25 branch of the Emacs repository?

* Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 17:51 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-11 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.
> At that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started
> using it and that mostly solved my issues.
>
> Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.
>
> I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X
> terminology precisely) and highlight some text. With my window manager
> (motif), that does a copy.
>
> Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12 seconds, emacs is frozen.
>
> emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.
>
> emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t have a copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?
>
> Thank you,
> Perry

it is maybe related to this bug?

:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::
:: jabberid: rogorido  ::                            ::

* Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 18:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 18:51:53 +0100
>
> it is maybe related to this bug?
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16737

That's one reason why I asked to try the latest Emacs 25 sources.

* Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
@ 2015-12-11 19:41     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 18:51:53 +0100
>>
>> it is maybe related to this bug?
>>
>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16737
>
> That's one reason why I asked to try the latest Emacs 25 sources.

yes, I suppose. I had also this bug and with git version the problem is
not (finally!) there anymore...