all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sending mail using tls under windows broken
@ 2016-12-23 22:20 Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2016-12-23 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I used to be able to send mail using native Emacs under Windows but
now seem to have lost the ability, and get an error when I try
beginning with:

  gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library not found

and indeed, evaluating (gnutls-available-p) yields nil.

On investigation, it appears that I can still send mail from my older
Emacs installation, which is:

  This is GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
   of 2014-10-24 on LEG570

The current version where it does not work is:

  GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
   of 2016-09-17

Can anyone shed light on this?

--
Will

* Re: sending mail using tls under windows broken
@ 2016-12-24  8:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-24  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:20:18 -0500
>
> I used to be able to send mail using native Emacs under Windows but
> now seem to have lost the ability, and get an error when I try
> beginning with:
>
>   gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library not found
>
> and indeed, evaluating (gnutls-available-p) yields nil.
>
> On investigation, it appears that I can still send mail from my older
> Emacs installation, which is:
>
>   This is GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
>    of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
>
> The current version where it does not work is:
>
>   GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
>    of 2016-09-17
>
> Can anyone shed light on this?

What does this show in Emacs 25.1.1:

  M-: libgnutls-version RET

and what is the version of libgnutls DLL you have installed?  These
two must match, so if they don't download and install the version
expected by the Emacs binary you have.

* sending mail using tls under windows broken
@ 2016-12-25  9:06 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2016-12-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On investigation, it appears that I can still send mail from my older
> Emacs installation, which is:
>
>   This is GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
>    of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
>
> The current version where it does not work is:
>
>   GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
>    of 2016-09-17

It seems you have a 32-bit copy of the gnutls library installed,
but not a 64-bit one. The newer version of Emacs is a 64-bit build,
so it needs libraries to match.

* Re: sending mail using tls under windows broken
@ 2016-12-25 15:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-25 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 01:06:12 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com>
>
> >   This is GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
> >    of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
> >
> > The current version where it does not work is:
> >
> >   GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
> >    of 2016-09-17
>
> It seems you have a 32-bit copy of the gnutls library installed,
> but not a 64-bit one. The newer version of Emacs is a 64-bit build,
> so it needs libraries to match.

No, both of these binaries are 32-bit builds, as evidenced by the i686
prefix.  The latter one was built using MinGW64 headers and libraries,
but in 32-bit mode.

* Re: sending mail using tls under windows broken
@ 2016-12-26 20:59   ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2016-12-26 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, 25 Dec 2016  4:06 AM -0500, Jason Rumney wrote:
>> On investigation, it appears that I can still send mail from my older
>> Emacs installation, which is:
>>
>>   This is GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
>>    of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
>>
>> The current version where it does not work is:
>>
>>   GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
>>    of 2016-09-17
>
> It seems you have a 32-bit copy of the gnutls library installed,
> but not a 64-bit one. The newer version of Emacs is a 64-bit build,
> so it needs libraries to match.

Hmm... makes sense I suppose.  I'll have to investigate.

--
Will