all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Wilfred Hughes <me@wilfred.me.uk>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why is .ml associated with lisp-mode in auto-mode-alist?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 17:39:47 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Wilfred Hughes <me@wilfred.me.uk>
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 12:28:25 +0100
>
> I've noticed the following line in files.el:
>
> ("\\.ml\\'" . lisp-mode)
>
> This seems strange to me: .ml files are generally ML or Ocaml. Git
> history says this line was added to Emacs in 1992 in commit
> 7b3f3dc2bba80d, but that commit doesn't suggest why this association
> was added.
>
> I'm not aware of any lisp file formats that use *.ml files, and
> lisp-mode is not well suited for editing ML-family code.

As others pointed out, it's for Mocklisp.  See

  http://www.linuxmisc.com/10-unix-questions/e10216400ac9037d.htm

> Does anyone object to me removing it? If I don't hear back I'll remove
> it in a few days.

I'm not sure I understand: you want to remove that association without
replacing it with any other mode?  Why is that a good idea?  (I could
understand if you were suggesting to replace lisp-mode by something
else, but removing this with no replacement just means users will have
to customize their Emacs anyway, so we will not gain anything in terms
of usability OOTB.  Or am I missing something?

Thanks.