all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help on isearch bindings WAS: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
@ 2016-12-30  4:46 Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2016-12-30  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel, Tino Calancha

On 30 December 2016 at 02:16, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> >  (define-key search-map "o"    'occur)
> > +(define-key search-map "b"    'occur-backward)
> > +(define-key search-map "f"    'occur-forward)
>
> FWIW, I don't think those keys (`M-s b' and `M-s f') should be
> bound to those commands.  If we want to bind the new commands
> during Isearch then I suggest that the occur commands be grouped
> on prefix key `M-s o':
>
>   M-s oo   occur
>   M-s ob   occur-backward
>   M-s of   occur-backward

While reading this thread, I realised that I never use the extra
keybindings that are available during isearch. As the good Emacs user that
I claim to be, I decided to check what bindings are available.

Thus, I typed ‘C-s M-s ?’

At this point, I expected to get documentation for the keybindings for the
prefix M-s but instead I was presented with a list of “Global Bindings
Starting With M-s:”

Why did that happen? I would call this a bug, but does others agree?

Regards,
Elias

* Re: Help on isearch bindings WAS: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
@ 2016-12-30  8:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel, drew.adams, tino.calancha

> From: Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:46:01 +0800
> Cc: Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
> 	emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Thus, I typed ‘C-s M-s ?’
>
> At this point, I expected to get documentation for the keybindings for the prefix M-s but instead I was presented
> with a list of “Global Bindings Starting With M-s:”
>
> Why did that happen?

Most probably because no one wrote the code to make what you expected
happen.

* Re: Help on isearch bindings WAS: [patch] Run occur command restricted to a region
@ 2016-12-31 15:39   ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2016-12-31 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Drew Adams, Tino Calancha