all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#25344: man repaints entire screen even when there is no such manual page
@ 2017-01-03 10:56 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2017-01-03 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 25344

If one has a very quick eye, one can discover M-x man "zzzyyyxxx"
repaints the entire screen before declaring in the minibuffer "No manual
entry for zzzyyyxxx". Doesn't seem very efficient.
Also one thinks the man page is coming in and looks at the screen, but
in fact it is just the screen being repainted. emacs-version "25.1.1"

* bug#25344: man repaints entire screen even when there is no such manual page
@ 2017-01-03 15:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 25344

> From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
> 	<jidanni@jidanni.org>
> Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 18:56:36 +0800
>
> If one has a very quick eye, one can discover M-x man "zzzyyyxxx"
> repaints the entire screen before declaring in the minibuffer "No manual
> entry for zzzyyyxxx". Doesn't seem very efficient.
> Also one thinks the man page is coming in and looks at the screen, but
> in fact it is just the screen being repainted. emacs-version "25.1.1"

I think these are side effects of a change (for the better) whereby
the 'man' program gets set up with a correct line width, which is
impossible without creating a window before 'man' is run.  My HO is
that this minor annoyance is a worthy price to pay for the problems
solved by that change.

* bug#25344: man repaints entire screen even when there is no such manual page
@ 2019-09-29  3:40 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2019-09-29  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 25344, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson

tags 25344 + wontfix
close 25344
quit

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
>>     <jidanni@jidanni.org>
>> Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 18:56:36 +0800
>>
>> If one has a very quick eye, one can discover M-x man "zzzyyyxxx"
>> repaints the entire screen before declaring in the minibuffer "No manual
>> entry for zzzyyyxxx". Doesn't seem very efficient.
>> Also one thinks the man page is coming in and looks at the screen, but
>> in fact it is just the screen being repainted. emacs-version "25.1.1"
>
> I think these are side effects of a change (for the better) whereby
> the 'man' program gets set up with a correct line width, which is
> impossible without creating a window before 'man' is run.  My HO is
> that this minor annoyance is a worthy price to pay for the problems
> solved by that change.

So this is the desired behaviour.  I'm consequently closing this as
wontfix.

If anyone disagrees, feel free to reopen.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas