all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multi line text in the margins
@ 2022-05-20  8:52 cage
From: cage @ 2022-05-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I am exploring the margin feature of Emacs. I tried to write some text
with a line break character inside, adding a text property like that:

(list :display (list '(margin margin-right) "foo\nbar"))

But the line break character is printed as "^J" instead to be interpreted.

Now i wonder if there is a way to split text in lines on the margin.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
C.

* Re: multi line text in the margins
@ 2022-05-20 11:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 10:52:49 +0200
> From: cage <cage-dev@twistfold.it>
>
> I am exploring the margin feature of Emacs. I tried to write some text
> with a line break character inside, adding a text property like that:
>
> (list :display (list '(margin margin-right) "foo\nbar"))
>

> But the line break character is printed as "^J" instead to be interpreted.
>
> Now i wonder if there is a way to split text in lines on the margin.

You can't.  This is not supported (and will cause complications if we
did try supporting it, because margin text of line N could get in the
way of margin text of lines N+1, N+2, ...

* Re: multi line text in the margins
@ 2022-05-20 12:03   ` cage
From: cage @ 2022-05-20 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 02:05:30PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Hi!

[...]

> > Now i wonder if there is a way to split text in lines on the margin.
>
> You can't.  This is not supported (and will cause complications if we
> did try supporting it, because margin text of line N could get in the
> way of margin text of lines N+1, N+2, ...

Thanks for you answer, I think  you even anticipated my next question:
if would be possible to make Emacs fits text between the margin's ends
(something like visual-line-mode). ;-D

Bye!
C.