all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tool bar icons always enabled
@ 2010-12-25 14:31 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-12-25 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

I just noticed that a few tool bar icons are always enabled. For
example, the 'Save current buffer to its file', usually, is disabled
(grayed) if the current buffer does not need to be saved, instead it is
enabled (not grayed) if the buffer is modified and not yet saved. But
now that icon is always enabled.

The same occurs with 'Undo last operation': it is always on, even if
there is not things to be 'undoed'.

This behavior has been introduced recently because it was absent with
the trunk build I did on 19 December 2010 and Emacs shows up it since 22
December 2010.

Is it a regression or 'intentional'?

Happy Holidays!

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Tool bar icons always enabled
@ 2010-12-25 19:40 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-12-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

Angelo Graziosi skrev 2010-12-25 15.31:
> I just noticed that a few tool bar icons are always enabled. For example, the
> 'Save current buffer to its file', usually, is disabled (grayed) if the
> current buffer does not need to be saved, instead it is enabled (not grayed)
> if the buffer is modified and not yet saved. But now that icon is always enabled.
>
> The same occurs with 'Undo last operation': it is always on, even if there is
> not things to be 'undoed'.
>
> This behavior has been introduced recently because it was absent with the
> trunk build I did on 19 December 2010 and Emacs shows up it since 22 December
> 2010.
>
> Is it a regression or 'intentional'?

I think it is a regression.  I see it on OSX, a december 16 build is OK.
Funny enough, the copy icon still gets disabled and enabled as before, but
other icons are enabled all the time.

	Jan D.

* Re: Tool bar icons always enabled
@ 2010-12-25 19:58   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel, angelo.graziosi

> Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 20:40:22 +0100
> From: Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
> Cc: Emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I think it is a regression.  I see it on OSX, a december 16 build is OK.

I guess it's the change from :visible to :enable in the calls to
tool-bar-item-from-menu in tool-bar.el.  Like this one:

    (tool-bar-add-item-from-menu 'undo "undo" nil :vert-only t
 -                              :visible '(not (eq 'special (get major-mode
 +                              :enable '(not (eq 'special (get major-mode
								 'mode-class))))

> Funny enough, the copy icon still gets disabled and enabled as before

Probably because the call that creates "Copy" button was not changed.

* Re: Tool bar icons always enabled
@ 2010-12-27 10:36   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-12-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs

Il 25/12/2010 20.40, Jan Djärv ha scritto:

> Angelo Graziosi skrev 2010-12-25 15.31:
>> I just noticed that a few tool bar icons are always enabled. For
>> example, the
>> 'Save current buffer to its file', usually, is disabled (grayed) if the
>> current buffer does not need to be saved, instead it is enabled (not
>> grayed)
>> if the buffer is modified and not yet saved. But now that icon is
>> always enabled.
>>
>> The same occurs with 'Undo last operation': it is always on, even if
>> there is
>> not things to be 'undoed'.
>>
>> This behavior has been introduced recently because it was absent with the
>> trunk build I did on 19 December 2010 and Emacs shows up it since 22
>> December
>> 2010.
>>
>> Is it a regression or 'intentional'?
>>

> I think it is a regression. I see it on OSX, a december 16 build is OK.
> Funny enough, the copy icon still gets disabled and enabled as before,
> but other icons are enabled all the time.

I think these are the changes which caused it:

2010-12-20  Chong Yidong  <...>

         [...]
         * tool-bar.el (tool-bar--image-expression): New function.
         (tool-bar-local-item, tool-bar--image-exp): Use it.
         (tool-bar-setup): Initialize tool-bar-separator-image-expression.
         Use :enable instead of :visible to avoid changing the tool-bar
         configuration unnecessarily.

@ 2010-12-28  9:39 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-12-28  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> I just noticed that a few tool bar icons are always enabled. For
> example, the 'Save current buffer to its file', usually, is disabled
> (grayed) if the current buffer does not need to be saved, instead it
> is enabled (not grayed) if the buffer is modified and not yet
> saved. But now that icon is always enabled.

Should be fixed now, thanks.