all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh session on the iPad
@ 2011-08-31 13:12 Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2011-08-31 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have Emacs 23.3 installed on my Mac and it works perfectly there.

I use Emacs on many platform so I keep all my text file in UTF-8, I
have this in my .emacs: (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

On the Mac, I can open a terminal and run Emacs -nw and all the characters work.

On the iPad, I use Prompt
(http://www.panic.com/blog/2011/04/introducing-prompt-ssh-for-ios/) to
open a ssh session on my Mac and run Emacs remotely. Whenever I try to
add a "French" character such as "é" or "è", I get "\351" in the
buffer and Emacs will complain if I try to save the file. If I switch
the coding system to iso-8859-1, I can enter the French chars without
any problems.

Is there a setting I can change to make UTF-8 work when I access Emacs
through ssh?

Carl

* Re: problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh session on the iPad
@ 2011-08-31 17:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-08-31 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:12:06 -0400
>
> On the iPad, I use Prompt
> (http://www.panic.com/blog/2011/04/introducing-prompt-ssh-for-ios/) to
> open a ssh session on my Mac and run Emacs remotely. Whenever I try to
> add a "French" character such as "é" or "è", I get "\351" in the
> buffer and Emacs will complain if I try to save the file. If I switch
> the coding system to iso-8859-1, I can enter the French chars without
> any problems.
>
> Is there a setting I can change to make UTF-8 work when I access Emacs
> through ssh?

Are you saying that existing text is displayed correctly, and the
problem is with typing French characters?  If so, please tell what
does the following display in Emacs:

  M-: keyboard-coding-system RET

Also, is this a GUI (graphical) session or a text-mode session?

* Re: problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh session on the iPad
@ 2011-08-31 23:47   ` Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2011-08-31 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>> From: Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:12:06 -0400
>>
>> On the iPad, I use Prompt
>> (http://www.panic.com/blog/2011/04/introducing-prompt-ssh-for-ios/) to
>> open a ssh session on my Mac and run Emacs remotely. Whenever I try to
>> add a "French" character such as "é" or "è", I get "\351" in the
>> buffer and Emacs will complain if I try to save the file. If I switch
>> the coding system to iso-8859-1, I can enter the French chars without
>> any problems.
>>
>> Is there a setting I can change to make UTF-8 work when I access Emacs
>> through ssh?
>
> Are you saying that existing text is displayed correctly, and the
> problem is with typing French characters?  If so, please tell what
> does the following display in Emacs:
>
>  M-: keyboard-coding-system RET
>
> Also, is this a GUI (graphical) session or a text-mode session?

Yes, existing text is displayed correctly, and the problem is with
typing French characters.

The result of the eval is: utf-8-unix

I have this in .emacs:
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

It is a text-mode session (Emacs -nw through SSH).

* Re: problem with UTF-8 when accessing Emacs installed on iMac from ssh session on the iPad
@ 2011-09-01  3:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-09-01  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:47:43 -0400
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> >> On the iPad, I use Prompt
> >> (http://www.panic.com/blog/2011/04/introducing-prompt-ssh-for-ios/) to
> >> open a ssh session on my Mac and run Emacs remotely. Whenever I try to
> >> add a "French" character such as "é" or "è", I get "\351" in the
> >> buffer and Emacs will complain if I try to save the file. If I switch
> >> the coding system to iso-8859-1, I can enter the French chars without
> >> any problems.
> >>
> >> Is there a setting I can change to make UTF-8 work when I access Emacs
> >> through ssh?
> >
> > Are you saying that existing text is displayed correctly, and the
> > problem is with typing French characters?  If so, please tell what
> > does the following display in Emacs:
> >
> >  M-: keyboard-coding-system RET
> >
> > Also, is this a GUI (graphical) session or a text-mode session?
> >

> Yes, existing text is displayed correctly, and the problem is with
> typing French characters.
>
> The result of the eval is: utf-8-unix

Looks like Prompt doesn't support UTF-8 keyboard input?

If you can go with setting keyboard-coding-system to latin-1, that
will do.  Failing that, I guess my next suggestion would be to use
Emacs input methods (C-u C-\).