all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* outline-mode : cursor and point mismatch ?
@ 2012-06-14 12:10 Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2012-06-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2012-06-14.
I experience a strange behaviour with outline-mode (and also in
org-mode) :

(emacs is started with emacs -Q)

Say I have a buffer with the two lines:
* A
Some text

and I hit C-c C-d (hide-subtree) and M-<. Now I have:
* A...
^
where '...' indicates hidden text and '^' indicates the
position of the cursor (on the title line).

Then hitting C-f a few times will advance the cursor successively :
* A...
 ^
* A...
  ^
* A...
     ^ <- I did not expect this.
* A...
      ^

The behaviour that I expected was :
* A...
 ^
* A...
  ^
* A...
   ^   <- different
* A...
      ^

And in fact, adding 'text' when in the situation
* A...
     ^
gives the following situation:
* Atext...
         ^

I am a little bit worried that I do not find references to this
behaviour on the net ; am I the only one experiencing this ?

Thanks for your help.

--
Nico.

* Re: outline-mode : cursor and point mismatch ?
@ 2012-06-14 15:57 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-06-14 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> I have GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2012-06-14.
> I experience a strange behaviour with outline-mode (and also in
> org-mode) :
>
> (emacs is started with emacs -Q)
>
> Say I have a buffer with the two lines:
> * A
> Some text
>
> and I hit C-c C-d (hide-subtree) and M-<. Now I have:
> * A...
> ^
> where '...' indicates hidden text and '^' indicates the
> position of the cursor (on the title line).
>
> Then hitting C-f a few times will advance the cursor successively :
> * A...
>  ^
> * A...
>   ^
> * A...
>      ^ <- I did not expect this.
> * A...
>       ^
>
> The behaviour that I expected was :
> * A...
>  ^
> * A...
>   ^
> * A...
>    ^   <- different
> * A...
>       ^

The three dots here are not characters, they are a single graphical
entity (a "glyph").  Moving the point after the "A" character leaves
the cursor one "visual character length" before the end of the glyph,
hence what you observe.

> And in fact, adding 'text' when in the situation
> * A...
>      ^
> gives the following situation:
> * Atext...
>          ^

That's because, even though the point visually appears right before the
end of the glyph, it *is* right before the whole glyph.  I agree this
looks wrong.

Note that in org-mode, when `org-catch-invisible-edits' is non-nil, it
will help you catch edits in such invisible areas.

> I am a little bit worried that I do not find references to this
> behaviour on the net ; am I the only one experiencing this ?

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: outline-mode : cursor and point mismatch ?
@ 2012-06-14 17:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-14 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:10:33 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Say I have a buffer with the two lines:
> * A
> Some text
>
> and I hit C-c C-d (hide-subtree) and M-<. Now I have:
> * A...
> ^
> where '...' indicates hidden text and '^' indicates the
> position of the cursor (on the title line).
>
> Then hitting C-f a few times will advance the cursor successively :
> * A...
>  ^
> * A...
>   ^
> * A...
>      ^ <- I did not expect this.
> * A...
>       ^
>
> The behaviour that I expected was :
> * A...
>  ^
> * A...
>   ^
> * A...
>    ^   <- different
> * A...
>       ^
>
> And in fact, adding 'text' when in the situation
> * A...
>      ^
> gives the following situation:
> * Atext...
>          ^
>
> I am a little bit worried that I do not find references to this
> behaviour on the net ; am I the only one experiencing this ?

No, you aren't the only one.

This is a bug.  Please use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to report it.

Thanks.