all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?
@ 2014-03-25 15:40 Ilya Zakharevich
       [not found] ` <mailman.18175.1395766786.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2014-03-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there any plan to have Unicode input enabled on Windows?
Currently, this is what I’m forced to write about Emacs:

  NOTE: Among notable applications which fail spectacularly is
  Emacs. The developers forget that for a generation, it is already
  XXI century; so they use ToAscii() instead of ToUnicode()! (Even if
  ToUnicode() is available, its result is converted to the result of
  the corresponding ToAscii() code.)

  In addition to 8-bitness, Emacs also suffers from
  check-for-specials-first syndrome…

(from the discussion on how to implement a CORRECT Unicode input in an
Event-loop application on Windows; see:
  http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/UI-KeyboardLayout/lib/UI/KeyboardLayout.pm#Can_an_application_on_Windows_accept_keyboard_events?_Part_I:_insert_only
and 3 following parts).

Ilya

P.S.  I believe that until it was documented above, it was not known
      how to process Windows’ input correctly (and it is still not
      known how to do it CORRECTLY from console applications: I can
      find no way to find the input locale, so do not know how to
      distinguish a dead key from a possible part of “a command”).

      But now, when it IS documented, there IS a chance to make Emacs
      into a good citizen…

P.P.S.  The last time I inspected the source code of Emacs was several
	months ago; I could not post before, so maybe my info is
	obsolete now.