all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hassle I had to work around when compiling 24.4 on Windows
@ 2014-10-26 18:08 Joel Bion
From: Joel Bion @ 2014-10-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I keep Emacs up to date on both GNU/Linux and Windows machines.
Installing the GNU/Linux from source was trivial, as would be expected.

However, compiling the Windows version from source gave me the following
error (at end of email). To work around this quite annoying error, I had
to manually edit malloc.h in MinGW/include and have it forcibly define
alloca and _alloca as __builtin_alloca. When I do this, things all
compile fine and I have a brand-spanking new Emacs 24.4 on my Windows
machine that runs as well as my 24.3 build from last year.

My point: It really, REALLY doesn't feel nice to edit malloc.h!

My question: What am I doing wrong that requires me to do this? And if
this is required, shouldn't a pointer to doing this be in the INSTALL
file in the nt subdirectory?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Joel

checking for alloca... yes

Configured for `i686-pc-mingw32'.

   Where should the build process find the source code?    .
   What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc
-std=gnu99 -g3 -O
2 -gdwarf-2
   Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
   Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
   Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
   What window system should Emacs use?                    w32
   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
   Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
   Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
   Does Emacs use a png library?                           no
   Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
   Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
   Does Emacs support sound?                               yes
   Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
   Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
   Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes (w32)
   Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes
   Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
   Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                no
   Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
   Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
   Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
   Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           no
   Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating lib-src/Makefile
config.status: creating oldXMenu/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/emacs/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/misc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispintro/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/lispref/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating lwlib/Makefile
config.status: creating lisp/Makefile
config.status: creating leim/Makefile
config.status: creating nextstep/Makefile
config.status: creating nt/Makefile
config.status: creating admin/unidata/Makefile
config.status: creating admin/grammars/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: executing src/epaths.h commands
config.status: executing src/.gdbinit commands

User@User-PC /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4
$ make
[ -r "src/config.in" ] || ( cd . && autoheader )
cd nt && make all                          \
           CC='gcc  -std=gnu99' CFLAGS='-g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2'
CPPFLAGS='-mtune=penti
um4   -DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc' \
           LDFLAGS='' MAKE='make'
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt'
windres -I . -O coff -o emacs.res ./emacs.rc
gcc  -std=gnu99 -mtune=pentium4    -I. -I.   -mtune=pentium4
-DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -
I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2 ./runemacs.c
emacs.re
s -mwindows \
          -o runemacs.exe
gcc  -std=gnu99 -mtune=pentium4    -I. -I.   -mtune=pentium4
-DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -
I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2 ./addpm.c
-lole32 -lu
uid -o addpm.exe
gcc  -std=gnu99 -mtune=pentium4    -I. -I.   -mtune=pentium4
-DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -
I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2 ./cmdproxy.c
-o cmdpr
oxy.exe
gcc  -std=gnu99 -mtune=pentium4    -I. -I.   -mtune=pentium4
-DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -
I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2 ./ddeclient.c
-o ddec
lient.exe
gcc  -std=gnu99 -mtune=pentium4    -I. -I.   -mtune=pentium4
-DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -
I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2
./addsection.c -o add
section.exe
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt'
cd lib && make all                          \
           CC='gcc  -std=gnu99' CFLAGS='-g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2'
CPPFLAGS='-mtune=penti
um4   -DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc' \
           LDFLAGS='' MAKE='make'
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/lib'
rm -f alloca.h-t alloca.h && \
         { echo '/* DO NOT EDIT! GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY! */'; \
           cat ./alloca.in.h; \
         } > alloca.h-t && \
         mv -f alloca.h-t alloca.h
rm -f byteswap.h-t byteswap.h && \
         { echo '/* DO NOT EDIT! GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY! */'; \
           cat ./byteswap.in.h; \
         } > byteswap.h-t && \
         mv -f byteswap.h-t byteswap.h
rm -f errno.h-t errno.h && \
         { echo '/* DO NOT EDIT! GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY! */' && \
           sed -e 's|@''GUARD_PREFIX''@|GL|g' \
               -e 's|@''INCLUDE_NEXT''@|include_next|g' \
               -e 's|@''PRAGMA_SYSTEM_HEADER''@|#pragma GCC
system_header|g' \
               -e 's|@''PRAGMA_COLUMNS''@||g' \
               -e 's|@''NEXT_ERRNO_H''@|<errno.h>|g' \
               -e 's|@''EMULTIHOP_HIDDEN''@|0|g' \
               -e 's|@''EMULTIHOP_VALUE''@||g' \
               -e 's|@''ENOLINK_HIDDEN''@|0|g' \
               -e 's|@''ENOLINK_VALUE''@||g' \
               -e 's|@''EOVERFLOW_HIDDEN''@|0|g' \
               -e 's|@''EOVERFLOW_VALUE''@||g' \
               < ./errno.in.h; \
         } > errno.h-t && \
         mv errno.h-t errno.h
rm -f execinfo.h-t execinfo.h && \
         { echo '/* DO NOT EDIT! GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY! */'; \
           cat ./execinfo.in.h; \
         } > execinfo.h-t && \
         mv execinfo.h-t execinfo.h
rm -f arg-nonnull.h-t arg-nonnull.h && \
         sed -n -e '/GL_ARG_NONNULL/,$p' \
           < ../build-aux/snippet/arg-nonnull.h \
           > arg-nonnull.h-t && \
         mv arg-nonnull.h-t arg-nonnull.h
rm -f getopt.h-t getopt.h && \
               -e 's|@''HAVE_GETOPT_H''@|0|g' \
               -e 's|@''INCLUDE_NEXT''@|include_next|g' \
               -e 's|@''PRAGMA_SYSTEM_HEADER''@|#pragma GCC
system_header|g' \
               -e 's|@''PRAGMA_COLUMNS''@||g' \
               -e 's|@''NEXT_GETOPT_H''@|<getopt.h>|g' \
               -e '/definition of _GL_ARG_NONNULL/r arg-nonnull.h' \
               < ./getopt.in.h; \
         } > getopt.h-t && \
         mv -f getopt.h-t getopt.h
rm -f c++defs.h-t c++defs.h && \
         sed -n -e '/_GL_CXXDEFS/,$p' \
           < ../build-aux/snippet/c++defs.h \
           > c++defs.h-t && \
         mv c++defs.h-t c++defs.h
rm -f warn-on-use.h-t warn-on-use.h && \
         sed -n -e '/^.ifndef/,$p' \
           < ../build-aux/snippet/warn-on-use.h \
           > warn-on-use.h-t && \
         mv warn-on-use.h-t warn-on-use.h
make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/lib'
gcc  -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../lib -I../src -I../src
-mtune=pentium4
    -DUSE_CRT_DLL=1 -I /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/nt/inc    -g3 -O2
-gdwarf-
2 -MT c-ctype.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/c-ctype.Tpo -c -o c-ctype.o c-ctype.c
In file included from ../src/config.h:1840:0,
                  from c-ctype.c:18:
../src/conf_post.h:49:3: error: #error "alloca not available on this
machine"
  # error "alloca not available on this machine"
    ^
make[2]: *** [c-ctype.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/lib'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4/lib'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

User@User-PC /c/usrlocal/emacssrc/emacs-24.4
$

* Re: Hassle I had to work around when compiling 24.4 on Windows
@ 2014-10-26 18:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-26 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: j-comm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 11:08:44 -0700
> From: Joel Bion <j-comm@westvi.com>
>
> I keep Emacs up to date on both GNU/Linux and Windows machines.
> Installing the GNU/Linux from source was trivial, as would be expected.
>
> However, compiling the Windows version from source gave me the following
> error (at end of email). To work around this quite annoying error, I had
> to manually edit malloc.h in MinGW/include and have it forcibly define
> alloca and _alloca as __builtin_alloca. When I do this, things all
> compile fine and I have a brand-spanking new Emacs 24.4 on my Windows
> machine that runs as well as my 24.3 build from last year.
>
> My point: It really, REALLY doesn't feel nice to edit malloc.h!

You shouldn't need to.  There's some snafu at work here, see below.

> In file included from ../src/config.h:1840:0,
>                   from c-ctype.c:18:
> ../src/conf_post.h:49:3: error: #error "alloca not available on this
> machine"
>   # error "alloca not available on this machine"
>     ^

I don't understand how this happened.  src/conf_post.h around line 49
says:

  #ifndef WINDOWSNT
  /* On AIX 3 this must be included before any other include file.  */
  #include <alloca.h>
  #if ! HAVE_ALLOCA
  # error "alloca not available on this machine"
  #endif
  #endif

So this fragment, including the #error directive, should not be
compiled on Windows, unless WINDOWSNT is not defined in your build.
WINDOWSNT is defined by src/config.h:

  /* Define if compiling for native MS Windows. */
  #define WINDOWSNT 1

which happens because of this snippet in the configure script:

  case $opsys in
  [...]
  mingw32)
      $as_echo "#define DOS_NT /**/" >>confdefs.h

  $as_echo "#define WINDOWSNT 1" >>confdefs.h

So if your configuration was recognized as "mingw32" (and it was,
according to the summary displayed by the configure script), which
means opsys was set to mingw32, how come WINDOWSNT is not defined?
Can you look into config.log and config.h and figure out what went
wrong there?