all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nl_langinfo call for paper dimensions
@ 2016-05-17 16:24 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-05-17 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

locale-info in fns.c has this fragment:

  /* LC_PAPER stuff isn't defined as accessible in glibc as of 2.3.1,
     but is in the locale files.  This could be used by ps-print.  */
  #ifdef PAPER_WIDTH
    else if (EQ (item, Qpaper))
      return list2i (nl_langinfo (PAPER_WIDTH), nl_langinfo (PAPER_HEIGHT));
  #endif	/* PAPER_WIDTH */

This seems wrong, since nl_langinfo returns a 'char *' pointer, not an
integer.  Right?  (I don't think there's any platform which actually
supports PAPER_WIDTH and PAPER_HEIGHT, but still...)

* Re: nl_langinfo call for paper dimensions
@ 2016-05-17 16:29 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-05-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On 05/17/2016 09:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> locale-info in fns.c has this fragment:
>
>    /* LC_PAPER stuff isn't defined as accessible in glibc as of 2.3.1,
>       but is in the locale files.  This could be used by ps-print.  */
>    #ifdef PAPER_WIDTH
>      else if (EQ (item, Qpaper))
>        return list2i (nl_langinfo (PAPER_WIDTH), nl_langinfo (PAPER_HEIGHT));
>    #endif	/* PAPER_WIDTH */
>
> This seems wrong, since nl_langinfo returns a 'char *' pointer, not an
> integer.  Right?  (I don't think there's any platform which actually
> supports PAPER_WIDTH and PAPER_HEIGHT, but still...)

Yes, the code is bogus and never worked. Simplest would be to remove the
#ifdef and everything inside it, along with the DEFSYM of Qpaper.