all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Non-standard DOS VGA Font single quote
@ 2017-09-01 20:24 rjd
From: rjd @ 2017-09-01 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am a great fan of VGA dos for programming. I have been trying to
figure out why in emacs I get weird single quotes (see attached image).

In general, single quotes work fine even in emacs, but for some reason
in *Help* buffers they look different. This also applies when I compile
something in shell and I get an error message

Anyway, I have attached the images of Perfect DOS VGA and Moder DOS 437
(the latter being an okay font, but I much prefer perfect). Also, I have
attached both ttf files.

Do you have any idea? Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: Moder_Dos_437_emacs_*help*.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 497 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Perfect_Dos_VGA_437_emacs_*help*.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1689 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: LessPerfectDOSVGA.ttf --]
[-- Type: application/x-font-ttf, Size: 79584 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: Moder DOS 437.ttf --]
[-- Type: application/x-font-ttf, Size: 23736 bytes --]

* Re: Non-standard DOS VGA Font single quote
@ 2017-09-01 20:26 ` rjd
From: rjd @ 2017-09-01 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Please disregard the previous attachment named : LessPerfectDOSVGA.ttf -
The one attached here is the font with the issue!

On 01/09/17 21:24, rjd wrote:

> I am a great fan of VGA dos for programming. I have been trying to
> figure out why in emacs I get weird single quotes (see attached image).
>

> In general, single quotes work fine even in emacs, but for some reason
> in *Help* buffers they look different. This also applies when I
> compile something in shell and I get an error message
>
> Anyway, I have attached the images of Perfect DOS VGA and Moder DOS
> 437 (the latter being an okay font, but I much prefer perfect). Also,
> I have attached both ttf files.
>
> Do you have any idea? Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: Perfect DOS VGA 437.ttf --]
[-- Type: application/x-font-ttf, Size: 81192 bytes --]

* Re: Non-standard DOS VGA Font single quote
@ 2017-09-02  7:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-09-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: rjd <3246251196ryan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 21:24:46 +0100
>
> In general, single quotes work fine even in emacs, but for some reason
> in *Help* buffers they look different. This also applies when I compile
> something in shell and I get an error message

In help buffers and error messages, Emacs attempts to use Unicode
curly quotes on terminals that support these characters.

> Anyway, I have attached the images of Perfect DOS VGA and Moder DOS 437
> (the latter being an okay font, but I much prefer perfect).

What version of Emacs is that?  Emacs on MS-DOS should display these
quotes as ASCII characters 'like this'.  For some reason, it sounds
like Emacs thinks your terminal supports the Unicode curly quote
characters, so it tries to display them.

What does this produce inside Emacs:

  M-: (char-displayable-p #x2018) RET

?

* Re: Non-standard DOS VGA Font single quote
       [not found] <mailman.14211.1504339157.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-09-07 17:18 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-09-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, Eli and Ryan.

In article <mailman.14211.1504339157.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> you wrote:
>> From: rjd <3246251196ryan@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 21:24:46 +0100

>> In general, single quotes work fine even in emacs, but for some
>> reason in *Help* buffers they look different. This also applies when
>> I compile something in shell and I get an error message

> In help buffers and error messages, Emacs attempts to use Unicode
> curly quotes on terminals that support these characters.

Surely, what we need is a customisation variable, by which the user can
chose to enable this character substitution if he wants it.

>> Anyway, I have attached the images of Perfect DOS VGA and Moder DOS
>> 437 (the latter being an okay font, but I much prefer perfect).

> What version of Emacs is that?  Emacs on MS-DOS should display these
> quotes as ASCII characters 'like this'.  For some reason, it sounds
> like Emacs thinks your terminal supports the Unicode curly quote
> characters, so it tries to display them.

> What does this produce inside Emacs:

>   M-: (char-displayable-p #x2018) RET

> ?

I think char-displayable-p is too unreliable to use for this purpose.
It doesn't work on a Linux tty, and would appear not to work on R's
terminal either.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).