all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (elisp) Generic Functions cl-defmethod documentation bug?
@ 2018-01-01 13:37 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2018-01-01 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In the elisp manual node Generic Functions, the documentation for
'cl-defmethod' includes:

     ‘STRUCT-TAG’
          The argument must be an instance of a class named STRUCT-TAG
          defined with ‘cl-defstruct’ (*note (cl)Structures::), or of
          one of its parent classes.

Shouldn't 'parent classes' be 'child classes'?

The method requires an object that has all the fields defined in the given
struct; that is true of child classes, not parents.

Unless I'm missing something.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: (elisp) Generic Functions cl-defmethod documentation bug?
@ 2018-01-02  5:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-01-02  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>      ‘STRUCT-TAG’
>           The argument must be an instance of a class named STRUCT-TAG
>           defined with ‘cl-defstruct’ (*note (cl)Structures::), or of
>           one of its parent classes.
>
> Shouldn't 'parent classes' be 'child classes'?

That sounds right, indeed.  And instead of "tag" it should say "type"
since this is a type and not a tag.

* Re: (elisp) Generic Functions cl-defmethod documentation bug?
@ 2018-01-02 13:41   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2018-01-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>      ‘STRUCT-TAG’
>>           The argument must be an instance of a class named STRUCT-TAG
>>           defined with ‘cl-defstruct’ (*note (cl)Structures::), or of
>>           one of its parent classes.
>>
>> Shouldn't 'parent classes' be 'child classes'?
>
> That sounds right, indeed.  And instead of "tag" it should say "type"
> since this is a type and not a tag.

Ok, committed in b6add8c7

--

@ 2018-01-02 15:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-02 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:41:19 -0600

> >>      ‘STRUCT-TAG’
> >>           The argument must be an instance of a class named STRUCT-TAG
> >>           defined with ‘cl-defstruct’ (*note (cl)Structures::), or of
> >>           one of its parent classes.
> >>
> >> Shouldn't 'parent classes' be 'child classes'?
> >
> > That sounds right, indeed.  And instead of "tag" it should say "type"
> > since this is a type and not a tag.
>
> Ok, committed in b6add8c7

Thanks, but why to master?  Documentation patches should be pushed to
the release branch.

* Re: (elisp) Generic Functions cl-defmethod documentation bug?
@ 2018-01-03 22:57       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2018-01-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
>> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:41:19 -0600

>> > That sounds right, indeed.  And instead of "tag" it should say "type"
>> > since this is a type and not a tag.
>>
>> Ok, committed in b6add8c7
>
> Thanks, but why to master?  Documentation patches should be pushed to
> the release branch.

Sorry, I realized that after I committed.

I found instructions for backporting a commit in
admin/notes/git-workflow:

-------------
cd ~/emacs/emacs-26
git cherry-pick -xe b6add8c7...

and add "Backport:" to the commit string.

git push
-------------

is that the correct process?

--

@ 2018-01-04  3:36         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-04  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:57:29 -0600
>
> I found instructions for backporting a commit in
> admin/notes/git-workflow:

> cd ~/emacs/emacs-26
> git cherry-pick -xe b6add8c7...
>
> and add "Backport:" to the commit string.
>
> git push
>
> is that the correct process?

Yes, thanks.