all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: van@scratch.space, 36306@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#36306: 26.2.90; gnus pause doesn't show hourglass icon
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 15:38:26 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: van@scratch.space,  36306@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 14:13:59 +0200
>
> > Here (on MS-Windows) Emacs displays the hourglass mouse pointer.
>
> On Debian GNU/Linux, it looks like this doesn't do anything...  but if I
> move the mouse pointer out of the Emacs frame, and then back again, I
> get a spinner.  I guess I never noticed before.  :-/  Or perhaps I don't
> move the mouse pointer a lot.

Yes, the hourglass pointer usually appears if you move the mouse
(here, it's enough to move it slightly, I don't need to move it off
the Emacs frame and back).

> But, anyway, is there anything Gnus could be doing that would disable
> the hourglass when it's doing some prolonged operation?

What exactly is the prolonged operation Emacs does in the described
scenario?  Some of them don't cause this pointer to appear for boring
technical reasons.

I'm also not sure, but the original report seemed to imply that
previous versions of Gnus did display the hourglass?