all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* VC to bind coding-system while invoking Git
@ 2014-11-17 16:50 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

vc-git-command should bind coding-system-for-read/write to the value
of vc-git-commits-coding-system (utf-8 by default).  Currently, we
only do that for a handful of Git commands, which is inconsistent.
The result is, for example, that typing RET in a *vc-change-log*
buffer might show the non-ASCII characters incorrectly if the default
for process-coding-system is not UTF-8.

Likewise with vc-git--call.

Any objections?

* Re: VC to bind coding-system while invoking Git
@ 2014-11-17 17:47 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-11-17 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> vc-git-command should bind coding-system-for-read/write to the value
> of vc-git-commits-coding-system (utf-8 by default).  Currently, we
> only do that for a handful of Git commands, which is inconsistent.
> The result is, for example, that typing RET in a *vc-change-log*
> buffer might show the non-ASCII characters incorrectly if the default
> for process-coding-system is not UTF-8.

It should also take i18n.commitEncoding and i18n.logOutputEncoding into
account.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: VC to bind coding-system while invoking Git
@ 2014-11-17 19:01   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-17 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:47:24 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > vc-git-command should bind coding-system-for-read/write to the value
> > of vc-git-commits-coding-system (utf-8 by default).  Currently, we
> > only do that for a handful of Git commands, which is inconsistent.
> > The result is, for example, that typing RET in a *vc-change-log*
> > buffer might show the non-ASCII characters incorrectly if the default
> > for process-coding-system is not UTF-8.
>
> It should also take i18n.commitEncoding and i18n.logOutputEncoding into
> account.

Any better way than to run "git config" querying about these 2 before
every git command?

* Re: VC to bind coding-system while invoking Git
@ 2014-11-21 10:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-21 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:01:59 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:47:24 +0100
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > > vc-git-command should bind coding-system-for-read/write to the value
> > > of vc-git-commits-coding-system (utf-8 by default).  Currently, we
> > > only do that for a handful of Git commands, which is inconsistent.
> > > The result is, for example, that typing RET in a *vc-change-log*
> > > buffer might show the non-ASCII characters incorrectly if the default
> > > for process-coding-system is not UTF-8.
> >
> > It should also take i18n.commitEncoding and i18n.logOutputEncoding into
> > account.
>
> Any better way than to run "git config" querying about these 2 before
> every git command?

I pushed a simple change to emacs-24 that just binds the encoding to
vc-git-commits-coding-system.  I will work on a more complex solution
for the trunk.