all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs info browser
@ 2016-03-08 13:58 Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2016-03-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I am using emacs info browser a lot and there is an "issue" bugging me.
Whenever there is a link in an info page like for example in this text from
a python related info page:

The usability of the *note email: 66. package in Python 3 has been
mostly fixed by the extensive efforts of R. David Murray.  The problem

The part "*note email: 66" is actually a link and displayed as "see email"
where email is underlined and I can press enter on "see" or "email" to
follow this link.

The "see" actually disturbs my reading because it renders the grammer
incorrect. Its really not a big deal but still annoying. If email is
underlined and it means that this is a link its fine for me... No need for
additional "see".

Question is: Is this configurable? Can i get rid of this?

Matthias

* Re: Emacs info browser
       [not found] <mailman.7044.1457445519.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-03-08 16:05 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2016-03-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am using emacs info browser a lot and there is an "issue" bugging me.
> Whenever there is a link in an info page like for example in this text from
> a python related info page:
>
> The usability of the *note email: 66. package in Python 3 has been
> mostly fixed by the extensive efforts of R. David Murray.  The problem
>
> The part "*note email: 66" is actually a link and displayed as "see email"
> where email is underlined and I can press enter on "see" or "email" to
> follow this link.
>
> The "see" actually disturbs my reading because it renders the grammer
> incorrect. Its really not a big deal but still annoying. If email is
> underlined and it means that this is a link its fine for me... No need for
> additional "see".
>
> Question is: Is this configurable? Can i get rid of this?

(setq Info-hide-note-references 'hide)

This gives some recipe if you want to make this option specific for
info files generated by sphinx (documentation of python projects).
But this for me doesn't work as I'm trying now.

http://svn.python.org/projects/external/Sphinx-1.2/doc/faq.rst

   (defadvice info-insert-file-contents (after
                                         sphinx-info-insert-file-contents
                                         activate)
     "Hack to make `Info-hide-note-references' buffer-local and
   automatically set to `hide' iff it can be determined that this file
   was created from a Texinfo file generated by Docutils or Sphinx."
     (set (make-local-variable 'Info-hide-note-references)
          (default-value 'Info-hide-note-references))
     (save-excursion
       (save-restriction
         (widen) (goto-char (point-min))
         (when (re-search-forward
                "^Generated by \\(Sphinx\\|Docutils\\)"
                (save-excursion (search-forward "\x1f" nil t)) t)
           (set (make-local-variable 'Info-hide-note-references)
                'hide)))))

* Re: Emacs info browser
@ 2016-03-08 16:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-08 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 14:58:34 +0100
> From: Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com>
>
> I am using emacs info browser a lot and there is an "issue" bugging me.
> Whenever there is a link in an info page like for example in this text from
> a python related info page:
>
> The usability of the *note email: 66. package in Python 3 has been
> mostly fixed by the extensive efforts of R. David Murray.  The problem
>
> The part "*note email: 66" is actually a link and displayed as "see email"
> where email is underlined and I can press enter on "see" or "email" to
> follow this link.
>
> The "see" actually disturbs my reading because it renders the grammer
> incorrect. Its really not a big deal but still annoying. If email is
> underlined and it means that this is a link its fine for me... No need for
> additional "see".
>
> Question is: Is this configurable? Can i get rid of this?

Emacs by default hides these "see" parts, but perhaps you are using an
old version?

* Re: Emacs info browser
@ 2016-03-10  8:50   ` Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2016-03-10  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Emacs by default hides these "see" parts, but perhaps you are using an
> old version

I have these "see" in eg emacs lisp reference manual too  but here they
seem to be used in a way where it makes sense. like

Compare ‘make-list’ with ‘make-string’ (*note     Creating Strings::).

where the "see" appears in parentheses. So that it looks like this:

Compare ‘make-list’ with ‘make-string’ (see Creating Strings).

So eventually "the annoying case" is related to the fact that i am reading
an info file from a python distribution as it was already pointed out.

Emacs version is 25.0.91.1 and i am on windows (sorry for not mentioning
initially...)

matthias