all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-21  0:58 Van L
       [not found] ` <handler.31541.D31541.152700866129304.notifdone@debbugs.gnu.org>
From: Van L @ 2018-05-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 31541

Hello.

The Preface section of emacs-lisp-intro.pdf is expected to have roman numeral page numbering but the PDF produced doesn’t. The page numbering counts from page 1.

See the following texi file excerpt, see page 13 of 271 in the PDF viewer.

  #+NAME: emacs-lisp-intro.texi
  #+BEGIN_SRC texi -n 223
    @c >>>> Set pageno appropriately <<<<

    @c The first page of the Preface is a roman numeral; it is the first
    @c right handed page after the Table of Contents; hence the following
    @c setting must be for an odd negative number.

    @c iftex
    @c global@pageno = -11
    @c end iftex

  #+END_SRC

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-21 14:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <handler.31541.D31541.152700866129304.notifdone@debbugs.gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: 31541

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 10:58:34 +1000
>
> The Preface section of emacs-lisp-intro.pdf is expected to have roman numeral page numbering but the PDF produced doesn’t. The page numbering counts from page 1.
>
> See the following texi file excerpt, see page 13 of 271 in the PDF viewer.
>
>   #+NAME: emacs-lisp-intro.texi
>   #+BEGIN_SRC texi -n 223
>     @c >>>> Set pageno appropriately <<<<
>
>     @c The first page of the Preface is a roman numeral; it is the first
>     @c right handed page after the Table of Contents; hence the following
>     @c setting must be for an odd negative number.
>
>     @c iftex
>     @c global@pageno = -11
>     @c end iftex
>
>   #+END_SRC

So what is the bug you are complaining about?  Is it that the comment
doesn't reflect the reality, or is it something else?

Thanks.

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22  0:11   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-22  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 31541

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
> So what is the bug you are complaining about?  Is it that the comment
> doesn't reflect the reality, or is it something else?

Is it a factual error that fails to reflect the current Emacs? to be fixed or not. Your call.

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22  2:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-22  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: 31541

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 10:11:09 +1000
> Cc: 31541@debbugs.gnu.org
>

> > Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >
> > So what is the bug you are complaining about?  Is it that the comment
> > doesn't reflect the reality, or is it something else?
>
> Is it a factual error that fails to reflect the current Emacs? to be fixed or not. Your call.

Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "the current Emacs"?
We are talking about the manual, right?

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22  2:46       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-22  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 31541

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
> Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "the current Emacs"?
> We are talking about the manual, right?

My understanding of ``the current Emacs’’ is everything under directory emacs/ from a `git pull’. It could be the tip of master branch or Emacs 26, I guess.

I happen to be at release tag for Emacs 26.1-rc1.

Does that make sense? the current is a moving target.

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22  2:55       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-22  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 31541

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
> We are talking about the manual, right?

We are talking about the file emacs-lisp-intro.texi.

Third line has

: @setfilename ../../info/eintr.info

which was why I used `eintr.info’ in the Subject: line.

At issue is the comment which does not match the result produced in the PDF for page numbering lettering.

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22 16:58         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: 31541

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 12:46:52 +1000
> Cc: 31541@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > Sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "the current Emacs"?
> > We are talking about the manual, right?
>
> My understanding of ``the current Emacs’’ is everything under directory emacs/ from a `git pull’.

Well, yes, but it's confusing to say "Emacs" when you really mean a
very specific part of it.  It tends to produce miscommunication.  It
is much better to be more specific, as in "manual" or "Emacs Lisp
Intro".

* bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF
@ 2018-05-22 17:04         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: 31541-done

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 12:55:10 +1000
> Cc: 31541@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> At issue is the comment which does not match the result produced in the PDF for page numbering lettering.

OK, I clarified in the comments what is that all about, and I'm
closing this bug report.

Thanks.

* bug#31541: closed (Re: bug#31541: eintr.info - roman numeral page numbering for Preface section in PDF)
       [not found] ` <handler.31541.D31541.152700866129304.notifdone@debbugs.gnu.org>
@ 2018-05-23  2:02   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-23  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 31541

> GNU bug Tracking System:

> what is that all about, and I'm
> closing this bug report.

In case this bug is revisited
best practise in contemporary
book publishing industry for
counting the pages in the Preface
should be evaluated to choose
the way forward for the numbering (or lettering)
in that
section.