all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:49:01 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 22:33:26 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The FAQ is special, unlike the rest
> > of our documentation, in that it doesn't target only the version with
> > which it comes.
>
> I followed our normal obsoletion policy, where we have deleted things
> after 10 years.  But I see your point.  We could perhaps decide for how
> long we want to keep things, and then add a note to that effect to
> efaq.texi?  That way, it'll be easier to maintain some consistency going
> forward.  For example, how about adding a note to remove references to
> Emacs versions released more than 15 years ago (or something like that)?
>
> > I see no particular reason to remove those references to old versions
> > from the FAQ.
>
> Sure, I guess it's more a matter of when they're old enough to be a bit
> irrelevant.  (Any feature was technically introduced in some version,
> but we don't always mention it.)

What would be the reason to remove references to old Emacs versions
from the FAQ?  I'm thinking maybe we should simply exempt the FAQ from
this process, which is, of course, perfectly valid for the other
documentation.

The FAQ is supposed to be a place where people could look for
information like "since when does Emacs do this-and-that?".