all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* loaddefs.eln
@ 2022-09-03  9:54 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

With the recent changes on master, loaddefs.el gets byte-compiled each
time it changes, and before dumping Emacs, which is good.  But in a
native-comp build, loaddefs is not compiled natively, so we load
loaddefs.elc rather than loaddefs.eln.

Is that intended?  If not, I think our Makefile's need some tweaking.

* Re: loaddefs.eln
@ 2022-09-03 10:03 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-03 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> With the recent changes on master, loaddefs.el gets byte-compiled each
> time it changes, and before dumping Emacs, which is good.  But in a
> native-comp build, loaddefs is not compiled natively, so we load
> loaddefs.elc rather than loaddefs.eln.
>
> Is that intended?  If not, I think our Makefile's need some tweaking.

Ideally, we'd want to load the loaddefs.eln.  But in practice, I don't
think it makes much difference -- there's usually very little actual
code in the loaddefs.el file.

* Re: loaddefs.eln
@ 2022-09-03 10:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-03 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 12:03:48 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > With the recent changes on master, loaddefs.el gets byte-compiled each
> > time it changes, and before dumping Emacs, which is good.  But in a
> > native-comp build, loaddefs is not compiled natively, so we load
> > loaddefs.elc rather than loaddefs.eln.
> >
> > Is that intended?  If not, I think our Makefile's need some tweaking.
>
> Ideally, we'd want to load the loaddefs.eln.  But in practice, I don't
> think it makes much difference -- there's usually very little actual
> code in the loaddefs.el file.

Then maybe mark it with the no-native-compile cookie?

* Re: loaddefs.eln
@ 2022-09-03 12:24     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Then maybe mark it with the no-native-compile cookie?

Now done.  A "make bootstrap" may be necessary (because of loaddefs-gen
dependency change).