all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-07-31  0:16 n179911
       [not found] ` <mailman.3540.1249000245.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: n179911 @ 2009-07-31  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my .emacs, I have

(setq load-path (cons "~/bin/emacslib" load-path))
(require 'icicles)

And in my ~/bin/emacslib, I have

$ ls
icicles-chg.el   icicles-doc1.el  icicles-fn.el    icicles-mode.el  icicles.el
icicles-cmd1.el  icicles-doc2.el  icicles-mac.el   icicles-opt.el
icicles-cmd2.el  icicles-face.el  icicles-mcmd.el  icicles-var.el

Can you please tell me how can I speed up emacs startup time? Is there
anyway to compile the .el. files so that emacs can come up faster?

Thank you.

* RE: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-07-31  0:30 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.3540.1249000245.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-31  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'n179911', help-gnu-emacs

> In my .emacs, I have
> (setq load-path (cons "~/bin/emacslib" load-path))
> (require 'icicles)
>
> And in my ~/bin/emacslib, I have
>
> $ ls
> icicles-chg.el   icicles-doc1.el  icicles-fn.el
> icicles-mode.el  icicles.el
> icicles-cmd1.el  icicles-doc2.el  icicles-mac.el   icicles-opt.el
> icicles-cmd2.el  icicles-face.el  icicles-mcmd.el  icicles-var.el
>
> Can you please tell me how can I speed up emacs startup time? Is there
> anyway to compile the .el. files so that emacs can come up faster?

1. C-x d ~/bin/emacslib

2. Use `m' to mark each of the icicles files, except *-chg* and *-doc*.

3. `B', then confirm, to byte compile all of the marked files.

You're done.

If you modify any of the source files that you've byte-compiled (e.g. you
downloaded a later version), you can use `M-x byte-recompile-directory' to
recompile any that whose *.elc files are out of date. That's like a mini-`make'
for byte-compiled files.

* Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
       [not found] <mailman.3539.1248999408.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-31  0:33 ` Rafael
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3561.1249026712.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rafael @ 2009-07-31  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> writes:

> And in my ~/bin/emacslib, I have
>
> $ ls
> icicles-chg.el   icicles-doc1.el  icicles-fn.el    icicles-mode.el  icicles.el
> icicles-cmd1.el  icicles-doc2.el  icicles-mac.el   icicles-opt.el
> icicles-cmd2.el  icicles-face.el  icicles-mcmd.el  icicles-var.el
>
> Can you please tell me how can I speed up emacs startup time? Is there
> anyway to compile the .el. files so that emacs can come up faster?

This is what I would do: In a dired buffer of the ~/bin/emacslib
directory, mark the .el files with 'M' and then byte-compile them with
'B'.

@ 2009-07-31  7:44   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-07-31  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 Lug, 00:30, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> If you modify any of the source files that you've byte-compiled (e.g. you
> downloaded a later version), you can use `M-x byte-recompile-directory' to
> recompile any that whose *.elc files are out of date. That's like a mini-`make'
> for byte-compiled files.

Can't you just `M-x byte-recompile-directory' on the first instance?

* Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-07-31  7:51   ` n179911
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3561.1249026712.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: n179911 @ 2009-07-31  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rafael; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you. Emacs 23.1 on Mac OSX works.
But when I start emacs at terminal (instead of running Emacs.app),
emacs (in /usr/bin/emacs version 22)  complains that the .elc are
compiled for version 23.

Can you please tell me what can I do to fix this?

Thank you.

@ 2009-07-31  8:11     ` Jonatan Andersson
From: Jonatan Andersson @ 2009-07-31  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Having two different version of any program installed is a sure way to
go mad.

I would suggest that you remove /usr/bin/emacs from the system (and
emacslient et al) , and add the path to the Emacs 23.1 binary. I have
first in my PATH variable the /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/:/
usr/bin: in my

With kindest regards
    Jonatan Andersson

@ 2009-07-31  8:33     ` Anselm Helbig
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3567.1249032229.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-31  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> Thank you. Emacs 23.1 on Mac OSX works.
> But when I start emacs at terminal (instead of running Emacs.app),
> emacs (in /usr/bin/emacs version 22)  complains that the .elc are
> compiled for version 23.
>
> Can you please tell me what can I do to fix this?

The easy way is to also use emacs 23 in the terminal,
/path/to/your/emacs -nw should do it. Or just fix your PATH
environment variable so that your emacs 23 bin directory comes first.

Otherwise you'd have to use different directories for different emacs
version + one directory with the .el sources. You'd symlink your
source files over to the directories for your different emacs versions
and compile them there. This is more or less how debian's emacs
packaging works when you have multiple emacsen installed.

In your .emacs you'd to something like this:

  (add-to-list 'load-path
               (format "/path/to/emacs-lisp/emacs-%s" emacs-major-version))

But I'd rather use emacs 23 on the console as well. With the new
multi-tty feature you should also be able to use the same instance for
this, issue M-x server-start and then connect with `emacsclient -t'. I
heard that multi-tty doesn't yet work well on OS X, though.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-07-31  9:23       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3567.1249032229.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-31  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Anselm Helbig; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.07.2009 um 10:33 schrieb Anselm Helbig:

> The easy way is to also use emacs 23 in the terminal,
> /path/to/your/emacs -nw should do it.

Which is /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs – and which has
some problems with the command line options!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because they
know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
				– Michael Shirley

@ 2009-07-31 10:02         ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-31 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:23:36 +0200,
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 31.07.2009 um 10:33 schrieb Anselm Helbig:
>
> > The easy way is to also use emacs 23 in the terminal,
> > /path/to/your/emacs -nw should do it.
>

> Which is /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs – and which has
> some problems with the command line options!

OK, then maybe you should rather not use Emacs at all but switch to
Textmate. 8;-)

*ducks-and-runs*

--

@ 2009-07-31 14:34     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-31 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> > If you modify any of the source files that you've
> > byte-compiled (e.g. you downloaded a later version),
> > you can use `M-x byte-recompile-directory' to
> > recompile any that whose *.elc files are out of date.
> > That's like a mini-`make' for byte-compiled files.
>
> Can't you just `M-x byte-recompile-directory' on the first instance?

`byte-recompile-*' only RE-compiles. It does not compile any *.el in the
directory that have not already been compiled. This means you can keep some
files uncompiled, yet still keep the *.elc up-to-date using `byte-recompile-*'.

* Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-07-31 15:53           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-31 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Anselm Helbig; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.07.2009 um 12:02 schrieb Anselm Helbig:

> OK, then maybe you should rather not use Emacs at all but switch to
> Textmate. 8;-)

Or don't give so many...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.
				– Albert Einstein

* Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-08-01 20:09       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2009-08-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Can't you just `M-x byte-recompile-directory' on the first instance?
>
> `byte-recompile-*' only RE-compiles. It does not compile any *.el in
> the directory that have not already been compiled.

Unless you use a prefix argument.

* RE: How to speed up emacs start time?
@ 2009-08-01 20:26         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-01 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Johan "Bockgård"', help-gnu-emacs

> >> Can't you just `M-x byte-recompile-directory' on the first
> >> instance?
> >
> > `byte-recompile-*' only RE-compiles. It does not compile any *.el in
> > the directory that have not already been compiled.
>
> Unless you use a prefix argument.

Right. It's good to remind about that.

@ 2009-08-02 16:12     ` Rugxulo
From: Rugxulo @ 2009-08-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On Jul 31, 2:51 am, n179911 <n179...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you. Emacs 23.1 on Mac OSX works.
> But when I start emacs at terminal (instead of running Emacs.app),
> emacs (in /usr/bin/emacs version 22)  complains that the .elc are
> compiled for version 23.

Surprisingly, I don't think anybody answered your question correctly
yet. So here's my lame attempt ....

Anyways, it's incompatible now due to changes in 23.1. You'll have to
compile with 22, I suppose, which will still work with 23.

(quoting from NEWS):

"During byte-compilation, Emacs 23 uses `utf-8-emacs' to write files.
As a result, byte-compiled files containing non-ASCII characters can't
be read by earlier versions of Emacs.  Files compiled by Emacs 20, 21,
or 22 are loaded correctly as `emacs-mule' (whether or not they
contain multibyte characters).  This takes somewhat more time, so it
may be worth recompiling existing .elc files which don't need to be
shared with older Emacsen."