all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-18 18:32 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-09-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David J. Biesack; +Cc: 4450

> I have .el files compiled in earlier versions of Emacs and
> I get an error trying to load them in 23.1
>
>   load-file: Invalid read syntax: "invalid multibyte form"
>
> I try to recompile them, but I get an error:
>
>   byte-compile-file: Removing old name: permission denied, c:/djb/emacs/filemenu.e
>
> I must exit emacs to release the lock on the file, then
> I can open and byte-compile the .el file and load the .elc
>
> I've attached a copy of my existing filemenu.elc and filemenu.el
> but this occurs on other .elc files as well.
>
> In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON

I can't reproduce this with the files you attached.  Maybe this is a
Windows-only issue, and one of the Emacs developers using Windows can
reproduce it.

* bug#4450: 23.1; encoding error loading .elc locks file
@ 2009-09-16 15:07 David J. Biesack
From: David J. Biesack @ 2009-09-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs