all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using proportional (variable-width) fonts in Emacs23
@ 2011-03-28 16:22 Erin Brinkley
From: Erin Brinkley @ 2011-03-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm using Emacs 23 now and LOVE using proportional fonts! (AKA variable width fonts.) It FINALLY makes Emacs look beautiful, makes text easy to read.

But I discovered a huge problem: the fill and word wrap commands are hard coded to work for monospaced fonts only! For instance the fill-column is based on monospace fonts: if you use a proportional font and set the fill column to what you think is a reasonable number, you'll soon find out that you are WRONG and you get extra whitespace at the end of a line, and words will wrap! The only way out is to set the fill-column to an insanely low number, and that's not a real solution either!

I saw a copy of the old Emacs 21 manual online where it says that yes, you can use variable width fonts but the fill and wrap commands aren't yet set up for it. Something about how they were working on it. I'm curious how that's been going over the years. Is there any support for these fonts in Emacs now? Anyone know of a hack - kludge - tip - workaround I can try in the meantime? I love how this looks but admit to going crazy here with all my documents having these weird wrap problems.

Appreciate the help everyone!

[parent not found: <mailman.0.1301334352.1646.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]