all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-10 21:55 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-10 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
ssh.  When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work.  The server
is a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.

If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
Windows correctly.  If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
setting ascii, it works.

How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?

I set ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp to "", even though the .cpp file
wasn't in the regexp.

Here's a trace.

quote mdtm /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/utils.cpp
501 command aborted -- FTP server not configured for MDTM
type binary
200 Representation type is Image
get /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/utils.cpp
c:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp4280SMK
200 Port request OK.
125 Sending data set /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/utils.cpp

250 Transfer completed successfully.
ftp: 1407 bytes received in 0.01Seconds 93.80Kbytes/sec.
type ascii
200 Representation type is Ascii NonPrint
quote mdtm /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/utils.cpp
501 command aborted -- FTP server not configured for MDTM

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-11  7:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-11  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:55:49 -0500
>
> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
> ssh.  When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work.  The server
> is a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.

Are you using ange-ftp via "C-x C-f"?  If so, tell Emacs to decode the
file, as in "C-x RET c ebcdic-us RET C-x C-f whatever RET".

If you use some other command, again prefix that command with
universal-coding-system-argument ("C-x RET c") to tell it to use
EBCDIC, or whatever is right for those files.

IOW, just imagine the file was on your local disk, and do the same.
You cannot tell disk I/O to "use ascii", can you?

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-14 13:54 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-02-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't
> run ssh.  When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work.  The
> server is a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>
> If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
> Windows correctly.  If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
> setting ascii, it works.
>
> How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?
>
> I set ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp to "", even though the .cpp
> file wasn't in the regexp.

`ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp' tells, which files are to be
transferred in binary mode. "" matches ALL files. So you must set it to
a regexp, which doesn't match any file name, like "^$" (which is the
empty file name).

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-15 19:59   ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-15 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/14/2012 8:54 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Ken Goldman<kgold@watson.ibm.com>  writes:
>
>> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't
>> run ssh.  When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work.  The
>> server is a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>>
>> If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
>> Windows correctly.  If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
>> setting ascii, it works.
>>
>> How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?
>>
>> I set ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp to "", even though the .cpp
>> file wasn't in the regexp.
>
> `ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp' tells, which files are to be
> transferred in binary mode. "" matches ALL files. So you must set it to
> a regexp, which doesn't match any file name, like "^$" (which is the
> empty file name).

I tried this, but it still transfers in binary.

~~~~~~~~

ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp is a variable defined in `ange-ftp.el'.
Its value is "^$"

~~~~~~~~~~
ftp trace:
~~~~~~~~~~

quote mdtm /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/client.cpp
501 command aborted -- FTP server not configured for MDTM
type binary
200 Representation type is Image
get /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/client.cpp
c:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ange-ftp5768MyT
200 Port request OK.
125 Sending data set /SYSTEM/home/suimgvb/ken/client.cpp

250 Transfer completed successfully.
ftp: 38381 bytes received in 0.08Seconds 485.84Kbytes/sec.

@ 2012-02-15 20:17   ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/11/2012 2:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Ken Goldman<kgold@watson.ibm.com>
>> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:55:49 -0500
>>
>> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
>> ssh.  When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work.  The server
>> is a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>
> Are you using ange-ftp via "C-x C-f"?  If so, tell Emacs to decode the
> file, as in "C-x RET c ebcdic-us RET C-x C-f whatever RET".
>
> If you use some other command, again prefix that command with
> universal-coding-system-argument ("C-x RET c") to tell it to use
> EBCDIC, or whatever is right for those files.
>
> IOW, just imagine the file was on your local disk, and do the same.
> You cannot tell disk I/O to "use ascii", can you?

I tried this and it is somewhat better.  I can see the text but all the
newline appears as \205, [ as \255 and ] as \275.

I think I simply want to tell ange-ftp to use ascii, not binary, but
nothing I tried works.

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-15 20:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-15 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:17:26 -0500
>
> I tried this and it is somewhat better.  I can see the text but all the
> newline appears as \205, [ as \255 and ] as \275.

Maybe it's not EBCDIC after all.

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-15 21:25       ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-15 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/15/2012 3:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Ken Goldman<kgold@watson.ibm.com>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:17:26 -0500
>>
>> I tried this and it is somewhat better.  I can see the text but all the
>> newline appears as \205, [ as \255 and ] as \275.
>
> Maybe it's not EBCDIC after all.

If it's not, it's close, as your suggestion to use
ebcdic-us made it much better.

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-15 21:30 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/10/2012 4:55 PM, Ken Goldman wrote:
> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
> ssh. When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work. The server is
> a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>
> If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
> Windows correctly. If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
> setting ascii, it works.
>
> How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?

Following up my own post, I edited ange-ftp.el and changed 'binary' to
'ascii'.  Files now come across absolutely perfectly.

I know that's an awful hack, but it's a proof of concept.  Now, how do I
convince ange-ftp to use ascii without editing the elisp source?

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-16 10:42   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-02-16 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> On 2/10/2012 4:55 PM, Ken Goldman wrote:
>> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
>> ssh. When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work. The server is
>> a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>>
>> If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
>> Windows correctly. If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
>> setting ascii, it works.
>>
>> How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?
>
> Following up my own post, I edited ange-ftp.el and changed 'binary' to
> ascii'.  Files now come across absolutely perfectly.
>
> I know that's an awful hack, but it's a proof of concept.  Now, how do
> I convince ange-ftp to use ascii without editing the elisp source?

Which Emacs version are you running?

Last year, there was a bug report about ange-ftp's binary mode, see
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7383>. IIRC, it was about
ange-ftp always using binary mode, when your local system is MS
Windows. This is fixed meanwhile.

Chances are good, that a prerelease of Emacs 24.1 works for you out-of-the-box.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp using binary mode
@ 2012-02-23 19:59     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-23 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/16/2012 5:42 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Ken Goldman<kgold@watson.ibm.com>  writes:
>
>> On 2/10/2012 4:55 PM, Ken Goldman wrote:
>>> I have to use ange-ftp because the server I'm connecting to doesn't run
>>> ssh. When I transfer, it uses binary, which does not work. The server is
>>> a mainframe and likely uses ebcdic.
>>>
>>> If I ftp from the command line in ascii mode, the file comes over to
>>> Windows correctly. If I enter the commands by hand in the ange-ftp,
>>> setting ascii, it works.
>>>
>>> How do I tell ange-ftp to use ascii?
>>
>> Following up my own post, I edited ange-ftp.el and changed 'binary' to
>> ascii'.  Files now come across absolutely perfectly.
>>
>> I know that's an awful hack, but it's a proof of concept.  Now, how do
>> I convince ange-ftp to use ascii without editing the elisp source?
>
> Which Emacs version are you running?
>
> Last year, there was a bug report about ange-ftp's binary mode, see
> <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7383>. IIRC, it was about
> ange-ftp always using binary mode, when your local system is MS
> Windows. This is fixed meanwhile.
>
> Chances are good, that a prerelease of Emacs 24.1 works for you out-of-the-box.

I looked at the bug reports, but they seem to be cases where people
__wanted__ binary mode.  I have the opposite issue.  I always want ASCII
mode so ftp will do the EBCDIC <-> ASCII conversion.

I'm running 23.1.1.  I won't risk a pre-release when I have a source
code hack that works.  I'll retest when 24 goes into production.