all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
@ 2012-10-03  8:41 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-03  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Recently, without apparent reasons, I've many crashes of Emacs (daily, a
couple of crashes).

There does not seem to be more or less crashes in Emacs 24.1 or Emacs 24.2 (on
Windows XP). I got the executables from there:

- Emacs 24.1 (http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-24.1-rc-bin-i386.zip) or
- Emacs 24.2 (http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20120917-r110062-bin-i386.zip).

Both have crashes, /often/ when filling in my regexp pattern for `helm-files',
but /not necessarily/ (sometimes in Gnus, sometimes at other moments).

_Often_ Emacs is just blocked, and C-g can't help me. I simply have to kill
Emacs from the Task Manager.

_Sometimes_, though, I have an Emacs abort dialog, something like:

    ╭────
    │ type "gdb -p PID" from a shell prompt. Then, when GDB shows its prompt,
    │ type "continue".
    ╰────

I had such a crash this morning, then applied the above recipe. I've no
experience in running a debugger, but here's what I could come up with:

$ gdb -p 8696
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5.50.20120815-cvs (cygwin-special)
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
Attaching to process 8696
[New Thread 8696.0x190c]
[New Thread 8696.0x1b7c]
[New Thread 8696.0x27f4]
Reading symbols from /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Emacs-24.2/bin/emacs.exe...done.
(gdb) continue
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 8696.0x190c]
0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb) c
Continuing.
[Inferior 1 (process 8696) exited with code 02]
(gdb) quit

Is that of any use?  Do I have to do something else in such cases?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
@ 2012-10-03  8:54 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.10182.1349254408.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-10-03  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Emacs-24.3 will be released soon.

Wait and watch.  File a bug report, if they are seen with new release.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
@ 2012-10-03  9:21 ` Sebastien Vauban
       [not found] ` <mailman.10182.1349254408.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban" wrote:
> Recently, without apparent reasons, I've many crashes of Emacs (daily, a
> couple of crashes).

My second one of the day...

> Both have crashes, /often/ when filling in my regexp pattern for `helm-files',
> but /not necessarily/ (sometimes in Gnus, sometimes at other moments).

Here, I was scrolling inside an Org buffer, with code blocks and native
fontification (`org-src-fontify-natively' set to `t').

I have the impression I was on the border of a code block (not yet visible),
hence it certainly invoking some fontification mechanism.

I was attached to the process already before the crash, and this is the recent
history in GDB:

Reading symbols from /cygdrive/c/Program Files/emacs-24.1/bin/emacs.exe...c
done.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

[New Thread 7064.0x22c8]
[New Thread 7064.0x9c0]
[New Thread 7064.0x1f18]
[New Thread 7064.0x19e4]
[New Thread 7064.0x19ec]
[New Thread 7064.0xebc]
[New Thread 7064.0x12fc]
[New Thread 7064.0xcdc]
warning: reader_thread.SetEvent failed with 6 for fd 7
warning: reader_thread.SetEvent failed with 6 for fd 4
warning: frame 03904C00 (Emacs) obscured
warning: obscured frame 03904C00 (Emacs) found to be visible
[New Thread 7064.0x196c]
warning: sys_read called when read is in progress
[New Thread 7064.0x1fe4]
[New Thread 7064.0x210c]
warning: sys_read called when read is in progress
[New Thread 7064.0xa94]
[New Thread 7064.0x15ec]
warning: sys_kill.TerminateProcess returned 5 for pid 8820
[New Thread 7064.0x1c48]
[New Thread 7064.0xed4]
[New Thread 7064.0x1e68]
[New Thread 7064.0x1698]
[New Thread 7064.0x10b8]
[New Thread 7064.0x1c38]
[New Thread 7064.0x139c]

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 7064.0x139c]
0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb)
Continuing.
[New Thread 7064.0x1e14]

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 7064.0x1e14]
0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
#1  0x7c962119 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
#2  0x00000005 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000004 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#5  0x7294ffd0 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

HTH...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
@ 2012-10-03 17:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-10-03 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:21:06 +0200
>
> "Sebastien Vauban" wrote:
> > Recently, without apparent reasons, I've many crashes of Emacs (daily, a
> > couple of crashes).
>
> My second one of the day...

This is not the right place to report crashes with debugger sessions.
Either post to emacs-devel@gnu.org, or report this as a bug with
"M-x report-emacs-bug RET"

> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> [Switching to Thread 7064.0x139c]
> 0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> (gdb)
> Continuing.
> [New Thread 7064.0x1e14]
>
> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> [Switching to Thread 7064.0x1e14]
> 0x7c91120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> (gdb) backtrace

The correct command at this point is "thread apply all backtrace".
That's because Emacs has more than one thread, and the above backtrace
is from a non-interesting thread (the one Windows launches when a
program crashes, to allow a debugger to attach).

Please post all the info you get to emacs-devel or as part of a bug
report.

Thanks, and sorry for your trouble.

* Re: Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 crashes
       [not found] ` <mailman.10182.1349254408.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-10-04 13:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-04 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Emacs-24.3 will be released soon.

Ahem!  We've barely started the freeze, so the release will probably be
before 2014, but not before 2013.  Whether that counts as "soon", well...

Also, better report it now, so that it 24.3 includes the fix.