all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus
@ 2010-12-27 17:56 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7742

emacs -Q

C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.

Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.

(I'm guessing that this is hard to fix or it would have been fixed by
now.  But I don't know that, and it's good to record the bug anyway,
even if we don't intend to try to fix it anytime soon.)

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-20 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

* bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus
@ 2016-04-28  9:51 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-04-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7742

> C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
> dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
> must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.
>
> Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
> to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.

This works for me now, so I guess it has been fixed.

* bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus
@ 2016-04-28 11:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-04-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 7742

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:51:33 +0200
> Cc: 7742@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
> > C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
> > dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
> > must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.
> >
> > Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
> > to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.
>
> This works for me now, so I guess it has been fixed.

Not on Windows.  (There are good technical reasons why this doesn't
work on Windows.  ESC does work, btw.)

* bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus
@ 2016-10-09  3:27 ` npostavs
From: npostavs @ 2016-10-09  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7742

tags 7742 wontfix
quit

> emacs -Q
>
> C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
> dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
> must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.
>
> Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
> to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.
>
> (I'm guessing that this is hard to fix or it would have been fixed by
> now.  But I don't know that, and it's good to record the bug anyway,
> even if we don't intend to try to fix it anytime soon.)

According to https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24596#8

    C-g doesn't work on a GUI frame because the menu is controlled by
    Windows, not by Emacs, and Windows doesn't know about C-g.  IOW,
    this is a limitation we can do very little about.

So I'm marking this as wontfix.

* bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus
@ 2016-10-09  7:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-09  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: npostavs; +Cc: 7742

> From: npostavs@users.sourceforge.net
> Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 23:27:57 -0400
> Cc: 7742@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
> > dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
> > must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.
> >
> > Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
> > to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.
> >
> > (I'm guessing that this is hard to fix or it would have been fixed by
> > now.  But I don't know that, and it's good to record the bug anyway,
> > even if we don't intend to try to fix it anytime soon.)
>
> According to https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24596#8
>
>     C-g doesn't work on a GUI frame because the menu is controlled by
>     Windows, not by Emacs, and Windows doesn't know about C-g.  IOW,
>     this is a limitation we can do very little about.
>
> So I'm marking this as wontfix.

Right.  Btw, it's not true that one is "trapped", pressing ESC pops
down the menu and gets you out.