all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 4bb2741: More fixes of Intro to Emacs Lisp
       [not found] ` <20180524173804.EED6320718@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2018-06-22 10:28   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2018-06-22 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Eli Zaretskii

On 5/24/18 8:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> (If the command doesn't prompt, invoke it with an
> +argument: @kbd{C-u M-.}; @pxref{Interactive Options}.)  Emacs will
> +switch buffers and display the source code for the function on your
> +screen@footnote{

That reminds me of an old mathematician joke about how one goes about
boiling a pot of water.

Since we probably agree that the current default is more ergonomic (use
the function at point, unless called with the prefix), maybe suggest
that approach first, in this text?

Like: "if the name of the function you're interested in is under point,
press M-.. Otherwise, press C-u M-. and type the function's name."

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 4bb2741: More fixes of Intro to Emacs Lisp
@ 2018-06-22 12:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-22 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 13:28:22 +0300
>
> On 5/24/18 8:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > (If the command doesn't prompt, invoke it with an
> > +argument: @kbd{C-u M-.}; @pxref{Interactive Options}.)  Emacs will
> > +switch buffers and display the source code for the function on your
> > +screen@footnote{
>
> That reminds me of an old mathematician joke about how one goes about
> boiling a pot of water.
>
> Since we probably agree that the current default is more ergonomic (use
> the function at point, unless called with the prefix), maybe suggest
> that approach first, in this text?
>
> Like: "if the name of the function you're interested in is under point,
> press M-.. Otherwise, press C-u M-. and type the function's name."

I cannot decide which variant is better, so I'd prefer to wait for
someone to complain first.