all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"
@ 2022-03-08 14:38 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-08 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I am trying to start using flycheck (installed from MELPA) for prose
checking.  I have installed proselint.  When I try to start up
flycheck-mode, I get the error:

Error while checking syntax automatically:
  (file-missing "Doing vfork" "No such file or directory")

which tells me absolutely nothing that I can follow up on to try to fix
whatever is wrong.  I've tried searching in flycheck itself for "Doing
vfork" but no luck.  Does anybody have any idea what to do or what I am
doing wrong?

The flycheck verifier (C-c ! v) does tell me that proselint is
available and seems fine overall, it just does not want to check!

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2

* Re: flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"
@ 2022-03-08 14:58 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-03-08 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Eric> Hello all,
    Eric> I am trying to start using flycheck (installed from MELPA) for prose
    Eric> checking.  I have installed proselint.  When I try to start up
    Eric> flycheck-mode, I get the error:

    Eric> Error while checking syntax automatically:
    Eric>   (file-missing "Doing vfork" "No such file or directory")

    Eric> which tells me absolutely nothing that I can follow up on to try to fix
    Eric> whatever is wrong.  I've tried searching in flycheck itself for "Doing
    Eric> vfork" but no luck.  Does anybody have any idea what to do or what I am
    Eric> doing wrong?

That error is generated by emacs when it tries to spawn a process, and
then canʼt find it. Iʼd search for `call-process' or `make-process',
in flycheck and/or proselint and see if the program itʼs trying to run
can be found by emacs using `executable-find'. If not, you may need to
adjust your `exec-path' or a configuration variable.

You could also try setting `debug-on-error' to t, but I guess flycheck
might trap errors.

Robert

* Re: flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"
@ 2022-03-08 15:15   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday,  8 Mar 2022 at 15:58, Robert Pluim wrote:
> Iʼd search for `call-process' or `make-process',

Arggghhhhh yes, of course.  Found it.  Proselint was installed with a
shebang line pointing to python, not python3, so it actually could not
be invoked.  All sorted now.  Thank you!

--

@ 2022-03-08 16:38     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-03-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Eric> On Tuesday,  8 Mar 2022 at 15:58, Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> Iʼd search for `call-process' or `make-process',

    Eric> Arggghhhhh yes, of course.  Found it.  Proselint was installed with a
    Eric> shebang line pointing to python, not python3, so it actually could not
    Eric> be invoked.  All sorted now.  Thank you!

The python2->python3 transition claims another (temporary) victim ;-)

Robert

* Re: flycheck mode gives error: file-missing "Doing vfork"
@ 2022-03-08 16:53       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-08 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 17:38:38 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> The python2->python3 transition claims another (temporary) victim ;-)

It's funny, but for MS-Windows they have a better solution: the 'py'
launcher.  It can be easily configured to invoke this or that version
by default.