all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Flymake warning "Canceling obsolete check"
       [not found] <71305ae2-5616-4b26-a35d-bac3167e5dea.ref@yahoo.de>
@ 2023-10-24 13:03 ` R. Diez
From: R. Diez @ 2023-10-24 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all:

I recently started using Flymake to ShellCheck my scripts, and now I get a buffer called *Flymake log* at random intervals with repeated warnings like this:

⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck<1>
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck<1>
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck
⛔ Warning [sh-script.el MyScript.sh]: Canceling obsolete check shellcheck

There is no indication about why this warning is been generated, or what I could do to fix it. I searched around but found no helpful information in this area.

If the warning is harmless, how do I suppress it?

By the way, the icon is Unicode Character 'NO ENTRY SIGN' (U+1F6AB). I personally think that warnings should probably have a different icon like Unicode Character 'WARNING SIGN' (U+26A0).

Thanks in advance,
   rdiez

* Re: Flymake warning "Canceling obsolete check"
@ 2023-10-24 14:32   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:03:48 +0200
> From: "R. Diez" <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de>
>
> By the way, the icon is Unicode Character 'NO ENTRY SIGN' (U+1F6AB). I personally think that warnings should probably have a different icon like Unicode Character 'WARNING SIGN' (U+26A0).

I think you misunderstand the purpose of that icon: it doesn't express
"warning", it expresses the possibility of _suppressing_ that warning.

In any case, you can customize the icon:

  emacs -Q
  M-x load-library RET warnings RET
  M-x customize-icon RET warnings-suppress RET

* Re: Flymake warning "Canceling obsolete check"
       [not found] <83e6be30-9199-4b89-8911-d29c372e20b9.ref@yahoo.de>
@ 2023-10-24 15:33 ` R. Diez
From: R. Diez @ 2023-10-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think you misunderstand the purpose of that icon: it doesn't express
> "warning", it expresses the possibility of _suppressing_ that warning.
> [...]

I see, thanks for the information. If you get a prominent icon in red colour, you tend to assume the worst. 8-)

I clicked on that icon, and I can suppress all "`(flymake sh-script.el)' warnings". However, I don't really want to disable all warnings of that type, in case something else comes up and I miss it. Is there a way to disable that specific "Canceling obsolete check shellcheck" warning?

And the question remains: Why am I getting this warning? Is it something I have configured wrong on my system which I can fix?

Regards,

@ 2023-10-24 15:56   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-24 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:33:13 +0200
> From: "R. Diez" <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org
>

> I clicked on that icon, and I can suppress all "`(flymake sh-script.el)' warnings". However, I don't really want to disable all warnings of that type, in case something else comes up and I miss it. Is there a way to disable that specific "Canceling obsolete check shellcheck" warning?

I don't know, you will have to ask the developer of flymake, or look
in the code.