all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to help with bug 21071
@ 2016-12-29  0:35 Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2016-12-29  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

What is the best way for me to fix bug
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21071. This is about IMAP
mails not being marked as read when they are expired at the same time.

I'm happy to write a patch, but it's not clear to me what the patch
should do. Is the suggestion in message #11 a good idea?

Best,
-Nikolaus

* Re: How to help with bug 21071
@ 2016-12-29 15:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-12-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nikolaus Rath; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:35:46 -0800
>
> What is the best way for me to fix bug
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21071. This is about IMAP
> mails not being marked as read when they are expired at the same time.
>
> I'm happy to write a patch, but it's not clear to me what the patch
> should do. Is the suggestion in message #11 a good idea?

Could some Gnus maintainer please answer Nikolaus's questions?
Thanks.

* Re: How to help with bug 21071
@ 2016-12-31 19:04   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-12-31 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Nikolaus Rath, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>
>> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:35:46 -0800
>>
>> What is the best way for me to fix bug
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21071. This is about IMAP
>> mails not being marked as read when they are expired at the same time.
>>
>> I'm happy to write a patch, but it's not clear to me what the patch
>> should do. Is the suggestion in message #11 a good idea?
>
> Could some Gnus maintainer please answer Nikolaus's questions?
> Thanks.

I'm by no means a Gnus maintainer, but I'm somewhat familiar with the
code, and would opt for Nikolaus' second suggestion on the bug tracker:
taking `gnus-summary-expire-articles' out of
`gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook', and explicitly calling it in
`gnus-summary-exit'.

My understanding of hooks is they're meant more for user customization,
but running the expiration is Gnus plumbing (if users don't want to
expire articles, they already have plenty of ways of doing that). And it
seems evident that setting marks should happen before expiration (at
least to me!).

Eric