all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Text folding mode?
@ 2008-03-17 23:59 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2008-03-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to implement a folding mode. Particularly the
ability to fold a highlighted region. I've downloaded fold.el and am
reviewing it. Are there any other recommendations?
Thanks
Tim

* Re: Text folding mode?
@ 2008-03-18  0:46 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.9061.1205801258.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-18  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Johnson wrote:
> I'd like to implement a folding mode. Particularly the
> ability to fold a highlighted region. I've downloaded fold.el and am
> reviewing it. Are there any other recommendations?
> Thanks
> Tim

There is something called foldout (beside outline and hide-show etc). I
have never used foldout, but it is described in the manual, see

   M-:  (info "(emacs) Foldout")

* Re: Text folding mode?
       [not found] ` <mailman.9061.1205801258.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-18  1:53   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2008-03-18  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> There is something called foldout (beside outline and hide-show etc). I
> have never used foldout, but it is described in the manual, see
>
>    M-:  (info "(emacs) Foldout")
Hi Lennart:
I'm looking at the documentation and did load the mode.
I don't see anyway that I could fold something like the following:

;; @syntax (CGI:cookie-set <cookie-name> <cookie-data> <domain> <path>)
;; @param <cookie-name> The string for the cookie variable name
;;        <cookie-data> List begins with 'extra data ("" if not any)
;;               followed by alternating names and values (not nested)
;;        <domain> Domain for which cookie is valid. Needed.
;;        <path> Path for which domain is valid. Recommended: "/cgi-bin/"
;; The lines above are documentation, which I would like to hide/unhide
;; at will. Is there a way to:
set-mark-command
;; scroll to end of documentation
hide region? Oh an epiphany! google'd emacs hide region
And guess what .... just found hide-region.el at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hide-region.el.
 And I like it.. Will work for me.
 Ain't emacs great?! Google too.

thanks
Tim

* Re: Text folding mode?
       [not found] ` <mailman.9061.1205801258.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-18  7:48 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2008-03-18  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Dienstag, 18. März 2008 00:59 schrieb Tim Johnson:
> I'd like to implement a folding mode. Particularly the
> ability to fold a highlighted region. I've downloaded fold.el and am
> reviewing it. Are there any other recommendations?
> Thanks
> Tim

Probably it's not that difficult to write such thing
via put-text-property start end 'invisible etc.

As regions beg and end are volatile values, you'll need
variables to store it.

Andreas Röhler

* Re: Text folding mode?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-03-20 23:31 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2008-03-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On márc. 18, 00:59, Tim Johnson <t...@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
> I'd like to implement a folding mode. Particularly the
> ability to fold a highlighted region. I've downloaded fold.el and am
> reviewing it. Are there any other recommendations?
> Thanks
> Tim

Emacs Wiki helps in such questions too:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryHideStuff

(But it seems some update would be good there.)