all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* autosave/backup file problem
@ 2012-06-15  8:09 Jannis
From: Jannis @ 2012-06-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi emacs users,

i have the problem that emacs creates

.#filename.txt

files in the directory file while working on a file. These files create
problems when I want to automatically create Software packages of the
parent folder.

Is there any way to tell emacs to create these files in a different
location?

I have put the following in my .emacs file but it seems to not change
the behaviour of the above mentioned files:

;; Put autosave files (ie #foo#) and backup files (ie foo~) in ~/.emacs.d/.
(custom-set-variables
   '(auto-save-file-name-transforms '((".*" "~/.emacs.d/autosaves/\\1" t)))
   '(backup-directory-alist '((".*" . "~/.emacs.d/backups/"))))

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jannis

* Re: autosave/backup file problem
       [not found] <mailman.2895.1339792377.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-06-15 20:52 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-06-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2895.1339792377.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Jannis <bt_jannis@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi emacs users,
>

> i have the problem that emacs creates
>
> .#filename.txt
>
> files in the directory file while working on a file. These files create
> problems when I want to automatically create Software packages of the
> parent folder.
>
> Is there any way to tell emacs to create these files in a different
> location?
>

> I have put the following in my .emacs file but it seems to not change
> the behaviour of the above mentioned files:
>

> ;; Put autosave files (ie #foo#) and backup files (ie foo~) in ~/.emacs.d/.
> (custom-set-variables
>    '(auto-save-file-name-transforms '((".*" "~/.emacs.d/autosaves/\\1" t)))
>    '(backup-directory-alist '((".*" . "~/.emacs.d/backups/"))))

Two problems:

1. custom-set-variables doesn't evaluate the value part of each argument
list, so you shouldn't have the inner quotes.

2. Your regexp for auto-save-file-name-transforms doesn't contain any
\\(...\\), so there's nothing for \\1 to be replaced with.  Use \\& to
substitute the entire matched string, or write a more complex regular
expression where \\1 picks up just the filename part of the pathname.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: autosave/backup file problem
@ 2012-06-16  6:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-16  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:09:59 +0200
> From: Jannis <bt_jannis@yahoo.de>
>
> i have the problem that emacs creates
>
> .#filename.txt
>
> files in the directory file while working on a file. These files create
> problems when I want to automatically create Software packages of the
> parent folder.
>
> Is there any way to tell emacs to create these files in a different
> location?
>

> I have put the following in my .emacs file but it seems to not change
> the behaviour of the above mentioned files:
>

> ;; Put autosave files (ie #foo#) and backup files (ie foo~) in ~/.emacs.d/.
> (custom-set-variables
>    '(auto-save-file-name-transforms '((".*" "~/.emacs.d/autosaves/\\1" t)))
>    '(backup-directory-alist '((".*" . "~/.emacs.d/backups/"))))

These are not backup or auto-save files.  These are lockfiles.  They
indicate that filename.txt is being edited by an Emacs session, so
that when another Emacs session (perhaps by another user) will visit
the same file, Emacs will warn that other user about the situation.

I don't understand what kind of problems these files could create (and
you didn't explain that).  But if you need to turn off creation of
lockfiles, set the variable create-lockfiles to a nil value.