all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wall of text pumping out while in shell
@ 2013-07-22  8:53 Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2013-07-22  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my shell within Emacs more regularly.  One problem
that crops up often is a long running command unexpectedly is
outputing a tremendous amount of text (often having very long lines).
Now Emacs' display engine is the bottleneck to the program finishing.
I don't want to prematurely kill the program.

How do you guys solve this?  Is there a way to say I temporarily don't
care about getting live updates from this shell, and resume later?

--
Le

* Re: wall of text pumping out while in shell
       [not found] <mailman.1542.1374483187.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-22 15:07 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-07-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1542.1374483187.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use my shell within Emacs more regularly.  One problem
> that crops up often is a long running command unexpectedly is
> outputing a tremendous amount of text (often having very long lines).
> Now Emacs' display engine is the bottleneck to the program finishing.
> I don't want to prematurely kill the program.
>
> How do you guys solve this?  Is there a way to say I temporarily don't
> care about getting live updates from this shell, and resume later?

Turn off the comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output option. Then type C-p
when the output starts. The output will go to the buffer, but it will be
off-screen so the display engine doesn't have to render it. The only
thing that updates is the scroll bar, because the relative position of
the window in the buffer is changing, and the mode line's percentage.

You can also switch to another buffer.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: wall of text pumping out while in shell
@ 2013-07-22 15:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-22 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:53:00 +0800
> From: Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com>
>
> I'm trying to use my shell within Emacs more regularly.  One problem
> that crops up often is a long running command unexpectedly is
> outputing a tremendous amount of text (often having very long lines).
> Now Emacs' display engine is the bottleneck to the program finishing.
> I don't want to prematurely kill the program.
>
> How do you guys solve this?  Is there a way to say I temporarily don't
> care about getting live updates from this shell, and resume later?

Don't display the buffer.