all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* on global-font-lock-mode effect on info-mode
@ 2015-12-17 15:22 Daniel Bastos
From: Daniel Bastos @ 2015-12-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I set global-font-lock to nil.  I expect no font locking on any
mode.  Indeed it so happens in most modes.  Info-mode however seems to be
an exception.  I need to ``M-x font-lock-mode'' explicitly when I get to
info-mode for a first time. Is this intended? Why?

(*) My configuration

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 [...]
 '(global-font-lock-mode nil)
 [...]

(*) My GNU EMACS

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN

* RE: on global-font-lock-mode effect on info-mode
@ 2015-12-17 17:22 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-12-17 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bastos, help-gnu-emacs

> I set global-font-lock to nil.  I expect no font locking on any
> mode.  Indeed it so happens in most modes.  Info-mode however seems to be
> an exception.  I need to ``M-x font-lock-mode'' explicitly when I get to
> info-mode for a first time. Is this intended? Why?

If you don't get a good reason why this should or must be the case,
consider filing a bug report: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

* Re: on global-font-lock-mode effect on info-mode
@ 2015-12-17 17:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-17 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Daniel Bastos <dbastos@toledo.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:22:14 -0200
>
> I set global-font-lock to nil.  I expect no font locking on any
> mode.  Indeed it so happens in most modes.  Info-mode however seems to be
> an exception.  I need to ``M-x font-lock-mode'' explicitly when I get to
> info-mode for a first time. Is this intended? Why?

Info mode turns on font lock in Info buffers, so turning off font lock
globally doesn't affect it.

I think you should customize Info-fontify-maximum-menu-size to nil to
turn off the colors in Info.