all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to compile emacs from git.
@ 2016-01-05 15:57 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-01-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello

When I compile and install the git version of emacs, I follow
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/building_emacs_from_git_repository.html
and run

./autogen.sh
./configure
make bootstrap
make

(Make install; I run checkinstall (KUbuntu))

Are theses steps really necessary or what is the recommended way of
compiling and installing emacs?

Uwe Brauer

* Re: how to compile emacs from git.
@ 2016-01-05 15:58 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-05 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2016-01-05, at 16:57, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hello
>
> When I compile and install the git version of emacs, I follow
> http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/building_emacs_from_git_repository.html
> and run
>
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> make
>
> (Make install; I run checkinstall (KUbuntu))

What I did was autogen, configure, make, sudo make install.

> Are theses steps really necessary or what is the recommended way of
> compiling and installing emacs?
>
> Uwe Brauer

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: how to compile emacs from git.
@ 2016-01-05 16:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-05 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 15:57:00 +0000
>
> When I compile and install the git version of emacs, I follow
> http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/building_emacs_from_git_repository.html
> and run
>
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> make
>
> (Make install; I run checkinstall (KUbuntu))
>

> Are theses steps really necessary or what is the recommended way of
> compiling and installing emacs?

Only the first time you build after cloning the Git repository.
Thereafter just "make" should do.

* Re: how to compile emacs from git.
@ 2016-01-05 16:44   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-01-05 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 01/05/2016 08:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> >./autogen.sh
>> >./configure
>> >make bootstrap
>> >make
>> >
>> >(Make install; I run checkinstall (KUbuntu))
>> >

>> >Are theses steps really necessary or what is the recommended way of
>> >compiling and installing emacs?
> Only the first time you build after cloning the Git repository.
> Thereafter just "make" should do.

I don't see why 'make bootstrap' is needed after a git checkout. It
works for me without it. Perhaps it's needed on some platforms? If so,
that should probably get fixed.