all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-10 21:26 Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-10 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Has anyone ever worked on being able to drag files and regions from Emacs
to another Mac application?

I'd like to be able to:

1. Drag files from Dired to an editable window in another application, e.g.
Chrome.

2. Select a region and have a mouse key binding that would drag it to the
other application.

Thanks for any pointers.

Bob

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-11 20:40 ` Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2017-10-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Robert Weiner; +Cc: rswgnu, emacs-devel

> Has anyone ever worked on being able to drag files and regions from
> Emacs to another Mac application?
>
> I'd like to be able to:
> 1. Drag files from Dired to an editable window in another application, e.g. Chrome.
> 2. Select a region and have a mouse key binding that would drag it to the other application.

`mouse-drag-and-drop-region' (from 26) moves region within a frame.
HTH

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-11 23:07   ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Tak Kunihiro <homeros.misasa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​I wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to:
> > 1. Drag files from Dired to an editable window in another application,
> e.g. Chrome.
> > 2. Select a region and have a mouse key binding that would drag it to
> the other application.
>
> `mouse-drag-and-drop-region' (from 26) moves region within a frame.

​Excellent.  Thanks for the tip.  Some things I'm working on now will
probably allow this to be extended across frames.

I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.

@ 2017-10-12  7:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-10-12  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rswgnu; +Cc: homeros.misasa, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:07:47 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.

It does, but the application you drag-n-drop into should support that.

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-12  7:13       ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Tak Kunihiro, emacs-devel

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org>
> > Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:07:47 -0400
> > Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.
>
> It does, but the application you drag-n-drop into should support that.

​On a Mac:

I highlight text in Evernote and drag it into a Chrome Gmail composition
window.  It drops right in without a problem.

I enable text drag-n-drop in Emacs 27 and highlight some text to try to
drag it to the same Chrome window.  A yellow rectangle of text starts to
drag but freezes right as the mouse pointer leaves the Emacs frame, so I
can't drag it any further.

@ 2017-10-12  7:42         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-10-12  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rswgnu; +Cc: homeros.misasa, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:13:37 -0400
> Cc: Tak Kunihiro <homeros.misasa@gmail.com>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> ​On a Mac:
>
> I highlight text in Evernote and drag it into a Chrome Gmail composition window.  It drops right in without a
> problem.
>
> I enable text drag-n-drop in Emacs 27 and highlight some text to try to drag it to the same Chrome window.  A
> yellow rectangle of text starts to drag but freezes right as the mouse pointer leaves the Emacs frame, so I
> can't drag it any further.

Maybe I was confused, and we only support drag-n-drop _into_ Emacs.

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-12  8:05     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2017-10-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rswgnu, Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.

Probably because there's no standard protocol to drag and drop anything
but files between different applications.

martin

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-12 13:23       ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Tak Kunihiro, emacs-devel

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 4:05 AM, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:

> > I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.
>
> Probably because there's no standard protocol to drag and drop anything
> ​​
> but files between different applications.

​​
Maybe not for every window system but on MacOS there is and many
applications accept dragged text directly:
​​
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/drag_and_drop/making_a_view_into_a_drag_source
​ - source info​

​​
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27420016/osx-drag-and-drop-text-not-file-to-app-dock-icon

​- destination info​

So this could be an addition to the macOS-specific drag-n-drop support.

@ 2017-10-12 14:19         ` Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2017-10-12 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Robert Weiner; +Cc: martin rudalics, Tak Kunihiro, rswgnu, emacs-devel

>  > I wonder why it doesn't work to drop the text onto other applications.
>
>  Probably because there's no standard protocol to drag and drop anything
>  ​​but files between different applications.
>
> ​​Maybe not for every window system but on MacOS there is and many applications accept dragged text
> directly:
> ​​https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/drag_and_drop/making_a_view_into_a_drag_source
> ​ - source info​

For now `mouse-drag-and-drop-region' does nothing when
(event-end (read-event)) is toward out of the current frame.

I think the first step is to revise `mouse-drag-and-drop-region' to let
it drag text to a different frame.

* Re: Drag-and-drop FROM Emacs to another editable application window under MacOS
@ 2017-10-12 16:30           ` Robert Weiner
From: Robert Weiner @ 2017-10-12 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tak Kunihiro; +Cc: martin rudalics, emacs-devel