all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Prevent message from being truncated
@ 2022-02-14 18:16 Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2022-02-14 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

How can I prevent emacs from truncating the strings it displays in the mode line?
Am fairly sure it didn't use to do this.  Is really annoying when using edebug
and am unable to see a complete string (the important part is being truncated).

--
Joe Riel

* Re: Prevent message from being truncated
@ 2022-02-14 18:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-02-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:16:30 -0800
> From: Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com>
>
> How can I prevent emacs from truncating the strings it displays in the mode line?

What do you want it to do instead?  The mode line must be a single
line.

> Am fairly sure it didn't use to do this.

Actually, it always did.  (Assuming you do mean mode line, not the
echo area...)

* Re: Prevent message from being truncated in mode line
@ 2022-02-15 15:14 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-02-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Riel; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

* Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> [2022-02-14 21:17]:
> How can I prevent emacs from truncating the strings it displays in the mode line?
> Am fairly sure it didn't use to do this.  Is really annoying when using edebug
> and am unable to see a complete string (the important part is being truncated).

It is possible to customize mode line and thus see more.

Please see description for variable `mode-line-format'

Then you can make it so to see what you wish.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Prevent message from being truncated in mode line
@ 2022-02-16  1:38   ` Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2022-02-16  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 18:14:37 +0300
Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> [2022-02-14 21:17]:
> > How can I prevent emacs from truncating the strings it displays in the mode line?
> > Am fairly sure it didn't use to do this.  Is really annoying when using edebug
> > and am unable to see a complete string (the important part is being truncated).
>
> It is possible to customize mode line and thus see more.
>
> Please see description for variable `mode-line-format'
>
> Then you can make it so to see what you wish.

Am thinking my ISP's spam filter is rejecting emails from this group.

The solution I was given was to set edebug-print-length to nil (or some
reasonable length, the default 50 is rather short).

--
Joe Riel