all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
@ 2023-09-23  8:04 Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-09-23  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66167

The wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword has been
broken. (Regression).

To reproduce:

1. emacs -Q
2. in *scratch*, ensure visual-line-mode is enabled
3. insert enough text to wrap lines
4. M-: (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'wrap-prefix '(space
:align-to 10))

Expected results:

Wrapped text should align to column 10.

Actual result:

Wrapped text does not align. (No effect.)

* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
  2023-09-23  8:04 bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2023-09-23  8:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: 66167

tags 66167 notabug wontfix
thanks

> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:04:27 +1000
> From:  "Paul W. Rankin" via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

> The wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword has been
> broken. (Regression).
>
> To reproduce:
>
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. in *scratch*, ensure visual-line-mode is enabled
> 3. insert enough text to wrap lines
> 4. M-: (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'wrap-prefix '(space
> :align-to 10))
>
> Expected results:
>
> Wrapped text should align to column 10.
>
> Actual result:
>
> Wrapped text does not align. (No effect.)

This is not a bug.  The argument of :align-to specifies a column
number, and the column number does not get reset when the line wraps
or the window is hscrolled.  IOW, the column number is measured from
the beginning of the physical line, not from the beginning of the
screen line.

The previous code handled this incorrectly and inconsistently, and was
fixed in Emacs 29 (or was it 28?).

* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
@ 2023-09-23  9:24   ` Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-09-23  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 66167

On 2023-09-23 18:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> tags 66167 notabug wontfix
> thanks
>
>> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:04:27 +1000
>> From:  "Paul W. Rankin" via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

>> The wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword has been
>> broken. (Regression).
>>
>> To reproduce:
>>
>> 1. emacs -Q
>> 2. in *scratch*, ensure visual-line-mode is enabled
>> 3. insert enough text to wrap lines
>> 4. M-: (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'wrap-prefix '(space
>> :align-to 10))
>>
>> Expected results:
>>
>> Wrapped text should align to column 10.
>>
>> Actual result:
>>
>> Wrapped text does not align. (No effect.)
>
> This is not a bug.  The argument of :align-to specifies a column
> number, and the column number does not get reset when the line wraps
> or the window is hscrolled.  IOW, the column number is measured from
> the beginning of the physical line, not from the beginning of the
> screen line.
>
> The previous code handled this incorrectly and inconsistently, and was
> fixed in Emacs 29 (or was it 28?).

You're suggesting that the wrap-prefix should not be applied to wrapped
lines..??

* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
@ 2023-09-23  9:38     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-23  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: 66167

> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:24:25 +1000
> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <hello@paulwrankin.com>
> Cc: 66167@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> On 2023-09-23 18:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> 1. emacs -Q
> >> 2. in *scratch*, ensure visual-line-mode is enabled
> >> 3. insert enough text to wrap lines
> >> 4. M-: (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'wrap-prefix '(space
> >> :align-to 10))
> >>
> >> Expected results:
> >>
> >> Wrapped text should align to column 10.
> >>
> >> Actual result:
> >>
> >> Wrapped text does not align. (No effect.)
> >
> > This is not a bug.  The argument of :align-to specifies a column
> > number, and the column number does not get reset when the line wraps
> > or the window is hscrolled.  IOW, the column number is measured from
> > the beginning of the physical line, not from the beginning of the
> > screen line.
> >
> > The previous code handled this incorrectly and inconsistently, and was
> > fixed in Emacs 29 (or was it 28?).
>
> You're suggesting that the wrap-prefix should not be applied to wrapped
> lines..??

It _is_ applied.  Try giving wrap-prefix a value that is a string, and
you will see that it is applied.

The problem is not with wrap-prefix, the problem is with the
(space :align-to 10) form, and specifically with the value 10.
The value 10 is too small for wrapped lines (in most cases).

* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
@ 2023-09-24  4:56       ` Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Paul W. Rankin via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-09-24  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 66167

On 2023-09-23 19:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It _is_ applied.  Try giving wrap-prefix a value that is a string, and
> you will see that it is applied.
>
> The problem is not with wrap-prefix, the problem is with the
> (space :align-to 10) form, and specifically with the value 10.
> The value 10 is too small for wrapped lines (in most cases).

I see now what it means. Sorry, my mistake. And what I want can be
achieved with (space :width 10). Thanks.

* bug#66167: 29.1; wrap-prefix text property with :align-to space keyword broken
@ 2023-09-24  5:36         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-24  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: 66167-done

> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:56:02 +1000
> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <hello@paulwrankin.com>
> Cc: 66167@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> On 2023-09-23 19:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > It _is_ applied.  Try giving wrap-prefix a value that is a string, and
> > you will see that it is applied.
> >
> > The problem is not with wrap-prefix, the problem is with the
> > (space :align-to 10) form, and specifically with the value 10.
> > The value 10 is too small for wrapped lines (in most cases).
>
> I see now what it means. Sorry, my mistake. And what I want can be
> achieved with (space :width 10). Thanks.

Yes, '(space :width 10)' is exactly what you want, AFAIU.

So I'm now closing this bug.