all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Imagemagick-support on Windows
@ 2013-06-05 10:54 Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-05 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs help

Hello!

I couldn't find details on getting image magick to work on windows. It
certainly doesn't work with the precompiled binaries and compiling emacs
myself, even without any optional features, proofed far from trivial on
Windows.

For using org-mode however, I need it in order to make proper use of the
image inclusion capabilities.

Any hints?

Kind regards, Klaus

* Re: Imagemagick-support on Windows
@ 2013-06-05 11:58 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-06-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus-Dieter Bauer; +Cc: emacs help

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Klaus-Dieter Bauer
<bauer.klaus.dieter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldn't find details on getting image magick to work on windows. It
> certainly doesn't work with the precompiled binaries and compiling emacs
> myself, even without any optional features, proofed far from trivial on
> Windows.
>
> For using org-mode however, I need it in order to make proper use of the
> image inclusion capabilities.
>
> Any hints?

Maybe you could give further details as to what the problem you're
experiencing is?

There appears to be a windows distribution of imagemagick here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

I would think (and I believe I had it set up before) that as long as
your PATH was set up correctly, it should 'just work'.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: Imagemagick-support on Windows
@ 2013-06-05 15:07   ` Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs help

Thanks for the reply! However, you are referring to a *different* kind of
image-magick support.

I am referring to the built-in image-magick support, such as scaling images
with the :width and :height parameters to the create-image function. On
Windows, these parameters are silently ignored. Therefore if I insert a
large image in org-mode I cannot resize it without changing the actual
file. Most of all however, it undermines the expected behaviour of modes
using in-buffer image previews.

When running emacs from cygwin, the images are correctly resized, but this
comes at the cost of many issues cygwin implies.

kind regards, Klaus

@ 2013-06-05 16:24     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer <bauer.klaus.dieter@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 17:07:43 +0200
> Cc: emacs help <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Thanks for the reply! However, you are referring to a *different* kind of
> image-magick support.
>
> I am referring to the built-in image-magick support, such as scaling images
> with the :width and :height parameters to the create-image function. On
> Windows, these parameters are silently ignored. Therefore if I insert a
> large image in org-mode I cannot resize it without changing the actual
> file. Most of all however, it undermines the expected behaviour of modes
> using in-buffer image previews.

How did you build Emacs, and what version of it?