all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configure re-run each time version.el changes
@ 2014-11-14  6:57 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-14  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Why is config.status dependent on lisp/version.el?  This causes Make
to re-run the configure script each time version.el is modified, which
seems like an unnecessary annoyance.

* Re: configure re-run each time version.el changes
@ 2014-11-14 19:57 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2014-11-14 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel; +Cc: Andreas Schwab

On 11/13/2014 10:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Why is config.status dependent on lisp/version.el?

Andreas Schwab added that dependency in 2007 to fix a problem back when
Emacs was managed under CVS and did not assume GNU Make.  Please see
this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-04/msg01375.html

I haven't looked at it carefully, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
dependency (or something like it) is still needed.  I'll CC: Andreas to
give him a heads-up.

* Re: configure re-run each time version.el changes
@ 2014-11-14 20:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-14 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: schwab, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:57:31 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> CC: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
>
> On 11/13/2014 10:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Why is config.status dependent on lisp/version.el?
>
> Andreas Schwab added that dependency in 2007 to fix a problem back when
> Emacs was managed under CVS and did not assume GNU Make.  Please see
> this thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-04/msg01375.html

Thanks.

> I haven't looked at it carefully, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
> dependency (or something like it) is still needed.  I'll CC: Andreas to
> give him a heads-up.

AFAIR, at the time, we updated the Emacs version by grepping
version.el, and perhaps that was the reason for the dependency.  But
nowadays we do that in configure.ac, so I wonder if the version.el
dependency is still needed.

* Re: configure re-run each time version.el changes
@ 2014-11-14 20:50   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-11-14 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> On 11/13/2014 10:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Why is config.status dependent on lisp/version.el?
>
> Andreas Schwab added that dependency in 2007 to fix a problem back when
> Emacs was managed under CVS and did not assume GNU Make.

This has nothing to do with CVS or GNU Make.  It came obsolete when
ceased to be the authority for emacs-version.  I've removed it.

Andreas.

--

@ 2014-11-14 20:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw