all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eval bash command at eshell
@ 2016-10-05  2:52 Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-10-05  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When I am working in eshell, the "eval" at the command refers to the eval
function in elisp...how can I get the bash "eval" working in the eshell
environment?

David S.

* Re: eval bash command at eshell
@ 2016-10-05 10:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-05 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 02:52:55 +0000
>
> When I am working in eshell, the "eval" at the command refers to the eval
> function in elisp...how can I get the bash "eval" working in the eshell
> environment?

According to the Eshell manual (hint, hint), *eval should do that,
i.e. prepend an asterisk to a command to invoke the external command.

* Re: eval bash command at eshell
@ 2016-10-05 13:14   ` Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-10-05 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

I tried it, but I got

eval: external command not found

But I think "eval" is a built-in command, right? It seems eshell try to
execute it as a external command.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 6:30 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 02:52:55 +0000
> >
> > When I am working in eshell, the "eval" at the command refers to the eval
> > function in elisp...how can I get the bash "eval" working in the eshell
> > environment?
>
> According to the Eshell manual (hint, hint), *eval should do that,
> i.e. prepend an asterisk to a command to invoke the external command.
>
> --

Thanks,

@ 2016-10-05 13:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:14:24 +0000
>
> I tried it, but I got
>
> eval: external command not found
>
> But I think "eval" is a built-in command, right? It seems eshell try to execute it as a external command.

Yes, I just told you how to disable the automatic preference of Lisp
functions in this case.

As for invoking the shell's built-in: what exactly do you expect that
to do, when you invoke shell's 'eval' from within Eshell?  Eshell is
not a Posix shell.

* Re: eval bash command at eshell
@ 2016-10-07  0:54       ` Xi Shen
From: Xi Shen @ 2016-10-07  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Yes, I know eshell is not a real POSIX shell. But I think it should mimic
as much as possible as a POSIX shell, or not?

If eshell is not expected to simulate a complete POSIX shell, then what is
the equivalent of "eval" in POSIX shell that is in eshell?

@ 2016-10-07  7:52         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-10-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 00:54:35 +0000
>
> If eshell is not expected to simulate a complete POSIX shell, then what is the equivalent of "eval" in POSIX
> shell that is in eshell?

"/bin/sh -c 'eval ...'", I think.