all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting new mail on Microsoft
@ 2018-11-02 21:34 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-11-02 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am slowly moving to MS but there is something odd still happening
here.  I can send mails, I can read old mails from my RMAIL files but,
I can't get any new mail into Rmail.

I have just c/p my old setup (which used to use movemail) but
something just goes wrong. It keeps telling me that it can't
authenticate me against my POP server.

Here is my rmail setup (worked fine on GNU/linux):

(setq rmail-movemail-flags '("--ignore-errors")
rmail-file-name "~/.cache/mail/RMAIL"
rmail-secondary-file-directory "~/.cache/mail/"
rmail-enable-mime t
rmail-primary-inbox-list '("pop://xavier%40maillard.im@mail.gandi.net")
rmail-remote-password-required t)

Can you help me ?

Thank you.
--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im                w:www.maillard.im

GPG:                           9983 DCA1 1FAC 8DA7 653A
                               F9AA BA49 09B7 8F04 DE1B

* Getting new mail on Microsoft
@ 2018-11-02 21:44 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-11-02 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

* RE: Getting new mail on Microsoft
@ 2018-11-04 20:35 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-11-04 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello again,

MS is really a pain to use for me:/

How do you get your mail using movemail ? Should I rely on an external tool (fetchmail comes to mind for example).
Actually movemail as provided by GNU Emacs just fails to auth me.
Movemail from the mailutils distribution on the other hand fails in fetchming my mails with error message :

[2018-11-04 20:10:20.066] movemail: impossible de créer la boîte aux lettres « d:/Users/xavier/.cache/mail/.newmail-xavier%40maillard.im@mail.gandi.net » : Élément demandé non trouvé

Something odd is happening with paths..

My RMAIL files are in /d/Users/Xavier/.cache/mail which is in reality d:\Users\xavier\.cache\mail

I am running the official GNU Emacs as you can see above :

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-30 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 07f8f9bc5a51f5aa94eb099f3e15fbe0c20ea1ea
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134

But I am lauching Emacs from the cygwin terminal.

I am totally lost…

--

@ 2018-11-05  3:38   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-11-05  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 21:35:37 +0100
>
> MS is really a pain to use for me:/
>
> How do you get your mail using movemail ? Should I rely on an external tool (fetchmail comes to mind for example).
> Actually movemail as provided by GNU Emacs just fails to auth me.

What kind of server do you fetch mail from?  Do you per chance have a
shell account on that server?

> [2018-11-04 20:10:20.066] movemail: impossible de créer la boîte aux lettres « d:/Users/xavier/.cache/mail/.newmail-xavier%40maillard.im@mail.gandi.net » : Élément demandé non trouvé
>
> Something odd is happening with paths..
>
> My RMAIL files are in /d/Users/Xavier/.cache/mail which is in reality d:\Users\xavier\.cache\mail

Seems like these are the same directory.  Can you manually create a
file by the name it complains about,
d:/Users/xavier/.cache/mail/.newmail-xavier%40maillard.im@mail.gandi.net?

Or maybe it's a bug in ported Mailutils?