all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dynamic module building and reloading
@ 2023-06-13 16:11 Nicolas Martyanoff
From: Nicolas Martyanoff @ 2023-06-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I was playing a bit with dynamic modules and found two issues.

1. There does not seem to be any builtin utilities to deal with
the process of building and loading shared library. I ended up writing a
couple elisp functions to find the location of the C file, spawn cc,
load the shared library… Is this the expected method? In this state, it
would seem that every Emacs packages using dynamic modules has to write
its own build/load code.

2. It seems that once a dynamic module has been loaded, it cannot be
reloaded after the shared library has been rebuilt. A Google search
seems to confirm it. Is there a workaround? If I pursue my little
project, I'll have to write quite a lot of C code in the dynamic module;
I *really* do not want to restart Emacs to test every single
modification.

Hopefully I'm not the only one with these issues!

Regards,

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
https://n16f.net