all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Core features needed for a lang-mode. Needed documentation?
@ 2014-08-10  5:45 Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2014-08-10  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In developing gnu-apl-mode, I have successively added more and more
features that people seems to expect to exist in any language mode. My
problem is that I'm a newbie at Emacs with only 20+ years of experience
using it, so of course I don't know all things a lang-mode can do.

After thinking that my mode was pretty complete, I discovered things like
imenu and speedbar which I had never used, but is actually pretty cool when
support was added for it.

Is there a comprehensive documentation anywhere which details all features
that such a mode can (should) implement?

Somehow, I feel that there are more features that I should support that I
simply don't know about.

Regards,
Elias

* Re: Core features needed for a lang-mode. Needed documentation?
@ 2014-08-10 13:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-08-10 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 13:45:17 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com>
>
> In developing gnu-apl-mode, I have successively added more and more
> features that people seems to expect to exist in any language mode. My
> problem is that I'm a newbie at Emacs with only 20+ years of experience
> using it, so of course I don't know all things a lang-mode can do.
>
> After thinking that my mode was pretty complete, I discovered things like
> imenu and speedbar which I had never used, but is actually pretty cool when
> support was added for it.
>
> Is there a comprehensive documentation anywhere which details all features
> that such a mode can (should) implement?

There's some documentation in the node "Major Mode Conventions" in the
ELisp manual.