all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>
Cc: charles@aurox.ch, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Please help get ready for proofreading of Emacs manual
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:59:39 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:03:43 -0700
> Cc: charles@aurox.ch, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> How about a commit on some specialized branch?
> RS> It is for the Emacs maintainers to decide whether that method is ok. They
> RS> are the ones who will need to use it.
>
> I think having a branch devoted to manual edits is a good idea, something
> branched off of emacs-26 that we can frequently merge back.

Please don't.  Each additional branch brings some overhead to work
with it, and also a non-negligible probability of making mistakes,
like pushing to the wrong branch.  Separate branches are justified for
experimental code changes, because they avoid breaking the main
branches which many people follow.  But documentation can never break
anything, and any non-trivial changes in it need to be reviewed
anyway.  So I see no need for a branch, it would just be an
unnecessary nuisance and source of errors.

Proposed changes for the manuals should be posted in the usual manner:
with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

TIA