all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: GNU Emacs on Windows system, viable ?
@ 2018-10-31 20:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-31 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:50:07 +0100
>
> The sole question I have is : is using GNU Emacs on Microsoft OS is Something easy ; I mean, is RMAIL functionning on MS ?

I'm writing this in Rmail on Windows.

> Optionnal question : will a RMAIL file coming from my old (dead) computer running GNU/linux be working as is directly on my MS box ?

Yes.

* GNU Emacs on Windows system, viable ?
@ 2018-10-31 20:50 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-10-31 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Heya,

Due to some changes on my laptop setup, I have to (maybe temporarily) switchover to MS system fulltime.
The sole question I have is : is using GNU Emacs on Microsoft OS is Something easy ; I mean, is RMAIL functionning on MS ?

A friend of mine told me to use chocolatery to install all my Tools (here it means : Emacs, clojure dev environnment, etc).

Thanks for your feedback.

Optionnal question : will a RMAIL file coming from my old (dead) computer running GNU/linux be working as is directly on my MS box ?

Thank you for your help

Xavier

* RE: GNU Emacs on Windows system, viable ?
@ 2018-10-31 22:04   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2018-10-31 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello,

>> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
>> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:50:07 +0100
>>
>> The sole question I have is : is using GNU Emacs on Microsoft OS is Something easy ; I mean, is RMAIL >> functionning on MS ?

>I'm writing this in Rmail on Windows.

Good ! Do you use a specific GNU Emacs flavour (ie. Cygwin or choco or Something else ? ) ?

>> Optionnal question : will a RMAIL file coming from my old (dead) computer running GNU/linux be working as is directly on my MS box ?

>Yes.

I tried it with a small file and it seems it works perfectly ! That’s nice !

* Re: GNU Emacs on Windows system, viable ?
@ 2018-11-01  3:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-11-01  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 23:04:02 +0100
>
> >I'm writing this in Rmail on Windows.
>
> Good ! Do you use a specific GNU Emacs flavour (ie. Cygwin or choco or Something else ? ) ?

A native MS-Windows build using MinGW.

* Re: GNU Emacs on Windows system, viable ?
@ 2018-11-03 10:15 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2018-11-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

If you are prepared to live on the bleeding edge, you might want to try
the Emacs-27 pre-tests which come with pretty much all the tools included.