all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 28.1: errors about missing git executable
@ 2022-04-08 14:57 Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2022-04-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

While building 28.1 from the source tar package I see lots of mentions
to missing git:

    ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/tooltip.eln
    ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/uniquify.eln
  Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
  Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")

  Waiting for git...
  Error running git rev-parse: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
  Waiting for git...
  Error running git rev-parse --abbrev-ref: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
  Finding pointers to doc strings...

The build goes along, but I wonder why those messages are shown and if
they have an effect on the build products.

* Re: 28.1: errors about missing git executable
@ 2022-04-09  7:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-04-09  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:57:56 +0200
>
> While building 28.1 from the source tar package I see lots of mentions
> to missing git:
>
>     ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/tooltip.eln
>     ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/uniquify.eln
>   Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
>   Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")

>   Waiting for git...
>   Error running git rev-parse: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
>   Waiting for git...
>   Error running git rev-parse --abbrev-ref: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory" "git")
>   Finding pointers to doc strings...
>
> The build goes along, but I wonder why those messages are shown and if
> they have an effect on the build products.

The last two messages (about git rev-parse) are harmless (they are
inside ignore-errors), but those emitted by ELN are not expected, I
think.  A Lisp backtrace for those errors should be useful.

Actually, a full-fledged bug report with all the details, including
how you configured the build, would be appreciated.