all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?
@ 2011-04-13 19:11 fork
From: fork @ 2011-04-13 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to customize my modeline such that I can see the total number of
lines of the current file?

The percentage is not particularly interesting to me...

Thanks!

* Re: Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?
@ 2011-04-14 18:10 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2011-04-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fork; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/13/11 3:11 PM, fork wrote:
> Is there a way to customize my modeline such that I can see the total number of
> lines of the current file?
>
> The percentage is not particularly interesting to me...
>
> Thanks!

I use these forms in my `mode-line-format' variable to show "current_line/total_num_lines":

(list 'line-number-mode "  L%l/")
(list 'line-number-mode (:eval (int-to-string (count-lines (point-min) (point-max)))))

* Re: Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?
@ 2011-04-14 23:03   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-04-14 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Frazer; +Cc: fork, help-gnu-emacs

2011/4/14 Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com>:
> On 4/13/11 3:11 PM, fork wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to customize my modeline such that I can see the total
>> number of
>> lines of the current file?
>>
>> The percentage is not particularly interesting to me...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I use these forms in my `mode-line-format' variable to show
> "current_line/total_num_lines":
>
> (list 'line-number-mode "  L%l/")
> (list 'line-number-mode (:eval (int-to-string (count-lines (point-min)
> (point-max)))))

Note that this method will be affected by narrowing. To get the full
number of lines in the buffer use (1+ (count-lines 1 (buffer-size))).
This could also get rather sluggish when used in large buffers. The
best way would probably be to use a timer to recalculate the number of
lines in the buffer and then use that.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Adding total lines to modeline (NOT percentage)?
@ 2011-04-15  8:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-15  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 01:03:50 +0200
> Cc: fork <forkandwait@gmail.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > (list 'line-number-mode "  L%l/")
> > (list 'line-number-mode (:eval (int-to-string (count-lines (point-min)
> > (point-max)))))
>
> Note that this method will be affected by narrowing. To get the full
> number of lines in the buffer use (1+ (count-lines 1 (buffer-size))).
> This could also get rather sluggish when used in large buffers.

You bet!  The default method has some clever wizardry in the display
engine to not count too many lines unless necessary.  If we want to
support N/M display, we should make it part of the display engine, to
avoid re-counting each time redisplay is entered.  Patches are welcome.