all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-06  2:02 BobD
From: BobD @ 2015-09-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way I can specify on the command line which .emacs file to use?

I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l /Directory/.emacs
The "-q" means not to use a .emacs file.  The "-l" loads the named file.
But the "-q" suppresses saving customizations.

I'd like something like this: runemacs.exe -dotemacsfile /Directory/.emacs

* Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-06  2:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-06  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 19:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: BobD <daycandle@gmail.com>
>
> Is there a way I can specify on the command line which .emacs file to use?
>
> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l /Directory/.emacs
> The "-q" means not to use a .emacs file.  The "-l" loads the named file.
> But the "-q" suppresses saving customizations.
>
> I'd like something like this: runemacs.exe -dotemacsfile /Directory/.emacs

Since you are on Windows, the easiest would be to point the HOME
environment variable to the directory where you want to have the
.emacs file.

If that doesn't fix your problem, please tell more about the reason
you need this.

Just FYI: loading .emacs via the -l switch does not have the same
effect as loading .emacs "normally", when Emacs finds it during
startup, because some things you can put in .emacs are only effective
during startup.

* Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-06  3:04 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-06  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

BobD <daycandle@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way I can specify on the command line
> which .emacs file to use?

emacs(1) says:

    -u user, --user user
            Load user's init file.

> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l
> /Directory/.emacs The "-q" means not to use a .emacs
> file. The "-l" loads the named file. But the "-q"
> suppresses saving customizations.

Don't use customize, instead edit the .emacs file(s)
by hand using any text editor around - why not
Emacs itself?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-06 14:29   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 05:04:36 +0200
>
> emacs(1) says:
>
>     -u user, --user user
>             Load user's init file.

And the User Manual says:

  `-u USER'
  `--user=USER'
       Load USER's initialization file instead of your own(1).

  [...]
     ---------- Footnotes ----------

     (1) This option has no effect on MS-Windows.

* Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-07  8:17   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> BobD <daycandle@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way I can specify on the command line
>> which .emacs file to use?
>
> emacs(1) says:
>
>     -u user, --user user
>             Load user's init file.
>
>> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l
>> /Directory/.emacs The "-q" means not to use a .emacs
>> file. The "-l" loads the named file. But the "-q"
>> suppresses saving customizations.
>
> Don't use customize, instead edit the .emacs file(s)
> by hand using any text editor around - why not
> Emacs itself?

Agreed. But sometimes it is necessary to use customizations (or much
easier, or di=one without my knowledge,...).

So I have the following as the last statement in my .emacs file:

,----
| * Load customizations
| Load customizations done through the Customization interface in emacs.
| New customizations will be stored in this file.
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp
|   (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/customfile.el")
|   (load custom-file)
| #+end_src
`----

This should load the customizations, even when using the -q approach
mentioned. And the customizations are in their own file.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
@ 2015-09-07 23:36     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-07 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> But sometimes it is necessary to use
> customizations (or much easier, or di=one without my
> knowledge,...).

... come again?

> So I have the following as the last statement in my
> .emacs file:
>
> | * Load customizations Load customizations done
> | through the Customization interface in emacs.
> | New customizations will be stored in this file.
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp (setq custom-file
> | "~/.emacs.d/customfile.el") (load custom-file)
> | #+end_src
> `----
>
> This should load the customizations, even when using
> the -q approach mentioned. And the customizations
> are in their own file.

It is much better to have individual config/extentions
in .emacs files individually stored in the users HOME
dirs! If this isn't possible on Windoze I don't know
how to do it.

But that much I can say and that is no, that won't
work with -q, as with -q, .emacs isn't loaded!

I don't understand anymore what you are trying to do.
Custom sucks as it is a GUI-style UI to
produce code. This task is impossible to solve
satisfactorily no matter how many will work on it for
years. Remember those WYSIWYG/WYSIAYG editors to do
HTML in the 90s? At fist you took them seriously until
you realized what they did they produced extremely ugly
HTML, and after that realization the step wasn't
distant were you cut off the incompetent man in
between and just wrote the code yourself.